Great bass amp SS for 15" 8 ohm woof 800hz max

I'm looking into biamping a speaker system. Using a 2A3amp on the top (800 Hz up on a horn) 2a3 has volume pots. Looking for recommendations for a great solid state amp to handle the the lower 800hz. It must match up with the 2A3 rich midrange. The woofer is 15" and is 98DB efficent.

Thanks
hicourt

Showing 3 responses by rlapporte

Hi again Hicourt,

Althoug I answered you question quite literally, I agree with the following posts. I can't imagine how two different amps of any sort would blend well at 800Hz. I do believe you would just be playing with a low probability game of trial and error. I believe that Steve and Duke are correct and would suggest that you consider another road.

I too amd curious about your speaker application. I keep thinking that it sounds like an old Altec horn system based on your crossover frequency and woofer size, although I imagine that there are many possibilities.

Let us know what you decide,

Ron
Depending on your budget, some options might include the Bryston 4B-ST, or Krell KSA 150 or 250. The Krells are powerful, controlled, and tuneful. Others may disagree, but I am less of a fan of the later Krells in this application.

I have never heard it above a crossover point of 50Hz, but I am using a Crown Ref.1. It is 800 wpc and has a damping factor of over 20k. I am using it to drive 18 inch drivers from 35 Hz on down. In that application, it is wonderful and extremely controlled, but I haven't a clue how it would perform in upper bass to mid range area. For all I know, it might peel paint beyond 100Hz. I'm sure you will get other opinions.
P.S.

If you really want to go nuts, get a pair of Levinson 33s (240v). The 33h is also wonderful, but, to my ears, sonically not as good in any area (power demands aside).