Grateful Dead Hour Shows: Transferred to CD's??

I have about 50 Grateful Dead Hour shows on tape recorded off of FM. They were all recorded on a Nakamichi LX-3, and many shows were recorded using Dolby "B" Unfortunately, the LX-3 is too bulky to transport, and also too expensive to ship (30 lbs boxed) I could buy either a used a Nakamichi BX-1 or BX-2 after I move and settle in, but I would have to find one in good condition

Therefore, my question is: could these tapes be tranferred to CD's, possibly even cleaned up or even re-equalized. BTW, many of the tapes offer some of the Dead's best performance over the years; some are just OK.

Unfortunately, it may be very expensive to professionally transfer the tapes. And I don't know if there are any quality "tape to CD" machines out there for sale. I really don't want to buy a transcription component that I will use only for a short period. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED' Thanks, Jim

sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by zd542

To me it seems like shipping your cassette player would be the cheapest option. But if that's not doable, I don't see why you can't connect your cassette deck directly to a stand alone CD burner. That's always been a pretty good way to record LP's, so I don't see why Cassettes would be any different. One other things that's very important, is if you do end up getting a new cassette deck after you move, you'll really need to get one that has an azimuth adjustment. If you don't match the position of the heads to the cassette deck that made the recording, playback on a different deck will sound very dull.
"ZD542. I am not that computer savvy, but I wish I had known about transferring by using a CD burner to transfer the tapes"

Just to clarify, I was talking about an audio component type CD burner, not the ones that are in a PC. Also, I forgot to mention another possible solution. They make cassette decks specifically designed for what you need to do. Do a search for "digital cassette tape converter", and you'll see what I talking about.