Graham Phantom DV XV-1s setup question

I took the plunge and moved from a DV XX2 MkII to the DV XV-1s :-) My TT is the TW Raven One. I have been playing around with the setup and currently have the loading at 100ohms, VTF 1.87gram, no anti-skate and no damping fluid.

After doing some searches read about the 2.5 tracking force option. I tried it at 2.20 grams for a couple of days and briefly at 2.50grams and it seemed to kill the dynamics. What I am experiencing now is slight thin/bright sound on some recordings, not what most people report as the character of this cartridge. Moving the VTF seems to kill the dynamics.

I've only had it now for 3 weeks, 20-30 hours. Is this the breakin character of the cartridge? is anyone using the damping fluid with this cartridge? how much if you are? Ideas? my phono stage can do 30,100,500,1000,47K.

Thanks!
128x128musichead

Showing 1 response by philb7777

I have my XV-1s on a JMW 10.5i arm with an VPI Aries 3 table. I actually have my tracking force set at 2.174 g and also have a tad of anti-skate applied. It's still within the recommended range (1.8 - 2.2 g). Not sure if its the arm/table combo compared to the Graham, but 2.174g seems perfect to me.