Graham 2.2 Damping.

I know this thread is old & should be buried. I use a Transfiguration Phoenix 2 with a Graham 2.2 on an Oracle Delphi V with Turbo P/S. I agree with all that has been stated regarding Sirspeedy's findings. However regarding the use of other manufacturer's Damping Fluid, the following should be observed. Obtaining the correct stiffness in the arms movement to match any given cartridges compiant movement is only obtained by the correct amount of fluid used. Therefore using a less viscous damping fluid such as that from SME will surely only necessitate the use of more fluid to obtain the same result as when using Graham's own fluid.
yve9258

Showing 3 responses by yve9258

Frank I have tried fluid from SME in the 2.2 & the Phantom, I have also tried Townsend's fluid in the 2.2, but not extensively. I found that when using the SME damping fluid to damp the 2.2, you couldn't actually quite achieve enough damping to optimise the Arms performance. I found however that with the Phantom (old bearing cap version), that similar results could be achieved using SME's, by using enough to almost completely fill the bearing chamber(just enough to cover the square on the bearing cap, when I was using a Temper W) . Although I haven't experimented with the Phantom to the same degree as with the 2.2. I would stick with Bob Graham's own fluid, as He has obviously obtained a version of the correct viscosity. From my finding's the Graham Arm,s are the best. You can almost taylor their sound to your own specific requirements, by that I mean HiFi or Music.
Sirspeedy, I have used IC70 but prefer to use Audionote ANVX terminated with Eichmann Copper Bullit Plugs & an SME 5 pin din, this cable seems to outperform the IC 70 in almost every area. I also make a home brew cable that is also excellent. BTW, I live only 30 miles from SME's factory here in the UK & prefer to use the Graham Arms as they are just simply better(in my opinion. I can't stand that hanging bass which seems to dominate the rest of the frequency spectrum in an un-tuneful way.

Going back to cables, I have a friend also who has the same arm cartridge combo as yourself(originally traded up from an SME V), which incidentally I set up. He uses the Hovland cable, but I feel that He could get more from His system by changing.

Thanks for the info on the fluid/oil.

Just in case you thought I was of the fairer sex, Yve is my wife's name. Mine's Barry.
Sirspeedy, I agree, also I think people's perception's change when their system changes. When I & my Friend owned the Phantom Arms, our opinion was the same, it was I who suggested trying the ANVX, as I had used one of their cheaper cables some years before, I must admit that it was a risk, but from some good fortune a worthwhile one. I have also listened to Martin Brewster's system of Audio Reference(UK importer of Graham Arm's), I can't see or should I say hear how He can improve His front end, He uses the IC70, so in that system, their is a great magnitude of synergy & information. I wish you luck in your quest for musical satisfaction. BTW I will probably go back to a Phantom at some stage, as I know it gives a great deal more depth, texture, clarity & pinpoint imaging than the 2.2. I could mention why I sold my Phantom, but not on any forum.