Got the itch again "real bad" for tube mono blocks

OK, my firend is trying out my speakers to decide if he is going to buy a pair that somebody is selling and today he brought over his Rogue M-150 mono block tube amps. I have been interested in buying the Dynaco MKIII mono blocks completely restored since they go for under a grand rebuilt just to try something new. After hearing the Rogues with stock Sovtek tubes, I am again wondering what if. There are a few decent choices like the Sonic Frontiers Power 3 (recently came down in price), of course Audio Research, Quick Silvers, Rogue, Dynaco, etc.

So does anyone have any advise on tube mono blocks in the $1000 price range and then up to $2,000 if I decide to go that far?

My current system, CEC TL-2X transport into Museatex Bitsream modified DAC, Counterpoint SA-5000 tube preamp and
either Counterpoint SA-220 modifed hybrid power amp or John Hillig modified Hafler 220 SS power amp. Right now I am listening to the Alon V MIIs with the Rogues and Carl from Alon (Nola) was right about the Alons and 100+ watt tube amps, really nice.

Thanks and Happy Listening.

bigkidz

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

I've been listening to a Pair of Cary SLM-100s for the last three years. Tubed with Tungsol VT-231(round, black plate)for phase splitters, Sylvania 6SN7Ws as drivers and Winged C 6550s(latest iteration from Upscale): the imaging/soundstaging/response/pace/liquidity/musical realism is outstanding. I've replaced the RCAs and binding posts with WBT stuff, added Vibrapods and VPI Magic Bricks. Outside of those: no mods/tweeks performed. Find a used pair and they should fit your budget nicely(sans the NOS tubes). 100+ watts per channel into 8 ohms.