Got a Node 2i, what's next?

So, I admit that I'm not much of a digital guy.  I ordered an Node 2i for the main HT system mostly for Amazon HD.  Much better than roku --> Denon AVR-X3600.  I liked it so much I ordered another for my previously all analog 2 channel system.

It's not bad, and convenient. Not even close to vinyl on the same release and level matched recordings, but then again, I didn't expect it to be.  I keep reading about how you can easily improve the sound by adding in an external DAC.  Here's where I get confused.

I don't want to spend a lot on a DAC, because at best it's a secondary source.  I'd feel comfortable in the $500 - $1000 range, but I'm really confused over the options and how they relate to sound quality.

First, r/2r vs I guess delta sigma?  What are the sonic advantages of either, there are widely differing opinions there.  I understand how each works from reading around, but how does it relate to sound quality?

Second, multibit vs whatever else.  Same basic questions, what are the basic sound characteristics of each?

Third, oversampling or no.

And lastly, what bitrate/bit depth is considered adequate?  24/192 seems to be standard but some dacs only have 24/128 over optical.  Will this make any difference real world with HD streaming?  I also have an old NAD cd player with coax digital out I might want to hook up for kicks.

I've researched three so far, the Denefrips Ares II, , the Schiit offerings below $1K, and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M.  I would like to have balanced outputs to keep the digital circuitry as far away from the analog stuff as possible.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

vinylzone
A used Ayre Codex now goes for $800- I know, I just sold 2.
For the money, it beats the Schiit Gungnir, and is close to the Yggy.
I can also attest to the customer service Ayre provides. They repaired my Codex quickly and at a minimal cost.
Bob
The Denafrips Ares-2 nine better or more anti digital glare 
a true high end bargain , and these R2R dacs get nigh5 and day better when you have say $3-5 k  Denafrips terminator,
holospring May dac, lab12 reference tube dac 
also for under $1k the very good vacuum tube Black ice audio wifi dac .actually under $800
Hi,
Has you stated adding a external DAC will improve the quality. I’ve owned a Bluesound node 2i and they are very capable machines.

I remember when I changed the power cord to an audio grade one the base got tighter and the unit was slightly quicker.

At that time, I then bought a Musical Fidelity V90-DAC that only does PMC but upscale the music to 32bit depth and it was great. 
I can’t remember if it allows you to pass I2S to the DAC.

Don’t get me wrong the node 2i is great streaming machine but has good has it is, In my opinion, it is missing on native DSD functionality, and it is not not balance circuitry. If you want to keep using the node 2i has a streaming device then this points should be taken in to consideration when buying a DAC has they limit your option.

Hope this helps 

Fil

I highly recommend Cherry DAC.  Small Designer/Owner run company that does everything in house.  Been in business for 20+ years.  Stands behind his products.  No outsourcing or use of off the shelf parts produced by someone else.  They are balanced.  The specs are top notch and they sound very musical.  I am including the URL for his website.  Two of the Cherry Dacs are currently on AudioMart well within your price range.

checkout the DACs made by Digital Amplifier Company:

https://www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor

Wow, lots of great suggestions.  On my short list so far is the Denafrips Ares II, the Musical Paradise MP-D2, and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M.

I'm slightly hesitant on the Denafrips only because of having to ship overseas for ant waranty work.  I like the idea of a tube output stage on the Musical Paradise.  I like the Cambridge for price and completeness of features, and I can get up to 60 days trial depending on where I buy from.

Keep em coming, you guys are a great resource.