Goodbye CD's

Seems that Borders by me is unloading all their cd's..They claim they are just not selling...Im sure this is just the beginning of the end in the retail stores for cd's...can it long before cd's are gone completely? Many Ive spoken with including some dealers have mentioned this and said "the writing is on the wall" for cd playback..

I have been on the fence about going to a file data system for music, and have been eyeing a Squeezebox duet and setting up my hard drive to take the plunge..maybe now its that time??

Or..maybe just Im just a geezer in my heart of hearts and should just look for old and new Vinyl to keep me going...hmmm..I could be very happy with a mainly vinyl set up ;-)
128x128kehut
Knghifi, I have a RAID 5 as well as another NAS that is synced to mirror the RAID 5. I've had a RAID that completely fried itself taking some of the data with it. Perhaps I am paranoid but I feel better knowing I have the original music in case something happens. BTW, in your example if the cdp goes, my music is still safe. I can simply rerip it or get another cdp. If a HDD craps out you would be lucky to be able to recover the data.
Tboooe, That's the point of backing up, if one goes, it's backed up on another drive. For backing up, just use an inexpensive USB drive. If you are paranoid, backup on 2 drives. :-)

I had one died but it was backed up so no big deal. Now my music is running off my internal hard drive but still backed up on one USB external drive.

Of course you have cds when cd player dies but it will be an expensive repair or replacement.
I slowly burned my CD collection to disk and now I have the daunting task of what to do with them? Take them out of the case and store in multiple CD towers that you buy blanks in or keep them in the jewel case and use multiple rubbermaid type tubs.

eitehr way "Goodbye CD's"
Tboooe, I have a TuneBank RAID 5 with two drives external to the two in it with one not in my home. Nevertheless, every once in a while I have gotten new versions of discs or even ways why I might treat the cds and rip them again.
Post removed