Good USED XLR Interconnect Choices for $300-$400?

I am looking for some tips on XLRs to consider (USED)
that are the best-bang-for-the-buck in the $300-$400
range.

I was considering XLRs from:

Analysis Plus Solo Crystal
Purist Audio Aqueous
XLO

I prefer slightly rounded off (Dark/warm) cables that
focus on musicality over detail.

Thanks in advance for your hints/tips/advice !!
Tom
tom92602

Showing 3 responses by ghstudio

I think it's funny that audiophiles go to such extremes to buy the right cables so their sound is perfect...when the studios that record the music use pretty much any heavy duty microphone cable. While studios do select microphones based on what they are recording and performer preference, few, if any, go thru the extensive "power filtering" and cable selection efforts that I see posted here on the playback end.

Don't some of you think that maybe you're going just a wee bit "over the top"
You and many others here would likely go insane in a sound studio.....where the sound is mixed to sound good on various amplifiers, near field monitors and/or headphones none of which equal the perceived "quality" of the speakers and headphones used in some homes.

If you want to hear what the studio wanted the sound to be, you would buy a pair of high quality studio monitors and a high quality audio amp (crown, ....) and you would connect everything with Belden cables. Alternatively, get a pair of SONY MDR-V6 headphones :)
I was suggesting duplicating what you might find in a recording studio...crown amps, mackie monitors, etc. to give you the same sound experience that the sound engineer created.

I think CD's sounding like crap is somewhat subjective. Remember that most CD's are made to sell to the masses and to sound good on the typical home/college/car sound system.
By creating an exceptionally good sound environment in your home, you are not creating the environment that the CD was made for. Ditto for most movie DVD's.

The folks who do the audio work on CD's absolutely do care about the sound...they get some big bucks to make that sound right...they are just creating a final CD tuned to a different sound than you want.

Of course the simplest example is on voice recordings where audio is expanded/compressed, reverbed, effected to the point where you probably wouldn't recognize the performer if they sang in front of you without a mic. So tone control using wires or whatever is almost rediculous.

Then again, most of us have only heard the performers after being processed by all the electronics, so we are trying to recreate a sound that isn't natural.

(BTW, I spend lots of time tuning my home system too...I just think that some who take audio too seriously have to really sit back and think about the whole sound thing)