Good under 200watt stereo amp for under $800

I figured I would start a new thread now that I have been given the go ahead by the wife to spend up to $800 on my stereo amp.

I've been given some good ideas in the "Under $600" thread and would like to see what you think of these choices:
McCormack DNA-1
Aragon 4004
B&K 4420
B&K 2220
CJ MF200
Odyssey Stratos

Any others to consider?

Joe
joew

Showing 9 responses by abex

I was beginning to think you might never choose an amp.LOL

Seriously glad you got one and I hope it's what you were after.Post your results!

I have heard Klaus is a nice guy to talk to if you need anyhing answerd.
I would definitly consider the Monarchy amps.They are ClassA and you will not get better sound then a ClassA based amp.

Happy Hunting!
You might want to consider this.Exactly the power you were looking for and it will save you $400.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1054522359&class&3&4&
Sean,so you believe in high\forward bias'd amps also.Well that's good.I have an original B&K ST-202 that is forward bias'd and it's nothing like the stock version of the same unit.
I think this is the reason alot of people like the Odyssey amps so much at present.I have no experience with them,but all the amps I have recently listened to have a sterile ,glossed over vocal signature attached to them which completely turns me off to them.
I thought the Forte's that were A\AB were not as refined as the ClassA amp version.
The Monarchy's are suppose to be close to the Pass Labs amps of what I have been tols and thought thos might be a great amp.
Still do not know what the speaker's JoeW is using?

ABEX
Geez,I bought my speakers for $350,but thenm again I have heard speakers going for $3500 that don't come close.Cost is relative believe me.
Odyssey Stratos are forward Bias'd and I could not imagine it not being musical.You could probably talk him down to $800 to include shipping.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1054566192&class&3&4&
There is a set of Muse amps at Agon that are nice and another Aragon that went uo today.

There are plenty of amps to choose from there.You just have to pick one when your ready.

I would love to have those Muse amps for my Vertical amping.I've read they are really great for driving the BASS which is what I need.

Happy choosing!
nOrh's new LeAmpII's are being demo'd at the Midwest Audio Show through the 14th.I am hopeing to get feedback as to weather they are as good as Mike Barnes says they are.They are only $400 a pair at the moment.Id they are gret I will be getting 2-3 sets to use in a Vertical amping setup.

They are rated at 200\w per ch..

This should be real intresting!