Good turntable equipped for about 700 dollars?

I'm just now embarking on opening my ears to vinyl, and could really use some advice on purchasing a turntable and all that is needed to make it work. I'm using a Rogue 66 preamp, Proac 2.5 speakers, several different amps right now. What I'd like are recommendations in the $600-$700 used range for the whole shabang (TT, tonearm, and cartridge). Right now, top contendors are the usual Rega P3-2000 and MMF-7 (if I wait long enough for a used one). The VPI 19-Jr looks great, but it may be above my cost limit. What about Linn or older Thorens models? Any other suggestions in this price range? Thanks much.
peter_s

Showing 1 response by lugnut

Hi,

Here is some further info with regards to buying a used Linn. There are only 4 screws on the base to remove if one wanted to inspect things. Should you consider an LP12 from a distant seller, I would want a photo of the innards, so to speak. The primary concern is the Valhalla. Look closely at the Vahalla for evidence of heat. This is easy to identify since the mounting board will be discolored. I have a bad board and will be glad to forward a photo of what NOT to buy. By the way, the table would still perform but didn't sound right, having lost it's famous PRAT.

I always urge folks to do it right the first times since it's much cheaper in the long run. Bump up your investment a couple of hundred bucks and you can get an Ittok in the mix. This is a great arm and is well worth the extra $$.

As a Linn owner I can attest to the pleasure of owning one for well over 20 years. Yes, there are better tables BUT you would never have a COMPELLING reason to replace it. It is that good.