Good tube preamp with Sony 5400

I am looking for a tube preamp for sony5400 running Focal 918s. I set my sights on the Doge 8 and looks like about a 2k investment with tube upgrades.
Is the Doge in the same coversation with the likes of Cary, Joule, or even Mcintosh C220?
I am looking to warm up a bit.
Would an extra $500 to $1000 investment make a big difference?
mcpherson

Showing 3 responses by thorman

McPherson: I have been a Thor Audio owner ( amps and linestage ) for many years and have happily dealt with both original owner Paul Marks and the new onwers Ted and Jordan (Ted was a Thor dealer for Paul)ThorAudio may not be the most popular name in audio but certainly one of the top quality sounding ( and well built ) units around..Since being sold the Thor products have been improved so much it very hard to describe just how much better they sound..Right now the best bargain in audio ( in my opinion ) is an Original used Thor piece sent back and cleaned up an have the latest upgrades..You will end up with a World class sounding piece for less than half the cost of a " Big Name " company...
Sound : Sweet Open,Gorgeuos midrange,Incredibly Transparent with excellent bass energy..With the latesT V/cap upgrades,you also have the option of going with The Copper or Teflon type Caps to boot...
McPherson: Glad you having fun with your Thor Linestage..Its a pitty many people don't know how good these are with the new upgrades...