Good tube preamp for McCormack DNA 500???

I just purchased a dealer demo McCormack DNA 500. I have decided I want to pair it with a tube preamp and I'm looking for the best fit within my price range ($2500 new or used). My research has uncovered a thread here on Audiogon that quotes the designer, Steve McCormack, recommending that any tube preamp paired with the DNA 500 (10k ohms input impedance) should have less than 800 ohms output impedance and the "lower the better".

Heeding this advice here is my top five: (1) Manley Jumbo Shrimp @ 50 ohms; (2) Purity One @ 180 ohms; (3) VAC Stantard LE @ 350 ohms; (4) Joule Electra 150 MK.II @ 400 ohms and (5) Conrad Johnson PV 15 @ "low" (can't find specs.) ohms. These are all currently for sale on Audiogon and are used except for new Manley J.S.

The rest of my system consists of Aerial 10-T speakers with mid-$$-range Synergistic Research cables and a highly modded Anthem CD-1 digital source. I prefer a warm, rich sound with no rolled off highs, mids or bass. Remote control is a must but I don't have a high care factor on balanced vs. single ended.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has had success with a tubed preamp and the DNA 500 or anyone who because of their vast knowledge or experience with such matters cares to comment. Thanks in advance for you input!
shoff

Showing 2 responses by shoff

Thanks to all of you who have posted so far. You have given me more options to consider as well as confirming a few of my original thoughts. When I invited comments from those who had "vast knowledge and experience in these matters" I had no idea that I would hear from the Master Designer himself Steve McCormack! Thank you so much Mr. McCormack for sharing your insight and for the reassuring words regarding the synergy between the DNA 500 and the Aerial 10-T's. That is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

As you know, it is virtually impossible to listen to all of these products before purchasing. That's why forums such as these are inspensible to music lovers. I have not made up my mind yet, but until I do, please keep your suggestions and comments coming! I'll post when I have made my decision.
Well, I made my decision. I went with a new Conrad-Johnson ET3-SE. The other two finalists were the Manley Jumbo Shrimp and the VAC Standard LE. I'll let the CJ burn in and see how I like it.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It caused me to do some research that I might not otherwise have done. One of the things I learned is that the customer service of VAC is absolutely fantastic. Kevin Hayes of VAC emailed me from his i-phone late one evening from CES because he learned second hand from one of his customers that I had some questions about purchasing a used model. WOW!

I also had a great experience with a CJ dealer. I give him the highest possible marks for his passion for music, integrity and professionalism. I will provide his contact info to anyone who wants it.