Good tube preamp for McCormack DNA 500???

I just purchased a dealer demo McCormack DNA 500. I have decided I want to pair it with a tube preamp and I'm looking for the best fit within my price range ($2500 new or used). My research has uncovered a thread here on Audiogon that quotes the designer, Steve McCormack, recommending that any tube preamp paired with the DNA 500 (10k ohms input impedance) should have less than 800 ohms output impedance and the "lower the better".

Heeding this advice here is my top five: (1) Manley Jumbo Shrimp @ 50 ohms; (2) Purity One @ 180 ohms; (3) VAC Stantard LE @ 350 ohms; (4) Joule Electra 150 MK.II @ 400 ohms and (5) Conrad Johnson PV 15 @ "low" (can't find specs.) ohms. These are all currently for sale on Audiogon and are used except for new Manley J.S.

The rest of my system consists of Aerial 10-T speakers with mid-$$-range Synergistic Research cables and a highly modded Anthem CD-1 digital source. I prefer a warm, rich sound with no rolled off highs, mids or bass. Remote control is a must but I don't have a high care factor on balanced vs. single ended.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has had success with a tubed preamp and the DNA 500 or anyone who because of their vast knowledge or experience with such matters cares to comment. Thanks in advance for you input!
shoff

Showing 1 response by allchemie

The Doge 8 preamp with phono is an unbelievable bargain at around $1,600. To get anything better you would have to go with Audio Horizons, which is at minimum over $1,000 more and has none of the extras, which can cost up to $3,000 more.

Greg