Good Stuff Cheap

I thought maybe a thread like this may be useful. How about a listing of equipment that's cheap and performs WAY beyond expectations. To qualify, the item must be under $500 (new or used)for an electronic component and under $100 for wire. Try to include comparisons to other equipment.

I'll start off with the Musical Fidelity X-Can Version 2.0. Not as a headphone amp but as a pre-amp! I was noticing that some headphone amps can double as a pre-amp and the X-Can sounded pretty good thru my cans so I went to Radio Shack, got an adapter and ran the headphone output into the rest of my system.

Oh my! Detail, warmth, dynamics and musicallity like you read about. All for $250....NEW! Replacing the standard wall wart with the MF outboard power supply ($195)tightened things up even further. Looks funky with the "alien rectal probe" coming out the front, cables attached. It only has one input, but man does it sound good! As good as my Transcendance & Rogue 66.

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

1953:

Try MITerminator 2 Interconnects -- $80.00 for a 1 meter pair. They can be purchased mail order from Audio Advisor. Want to save EVEN more money on wire?? Then try the MITerminator 3 Interconnects for just $45.00 for a 1 meter pair. These interconnects (both the MITerminator 2 and the MITerminator 3) are routinely being offered for 50% off of their suggested MSRP's everyday. And if you were to allow me JUST A LITTLE more leeway, then I am inclined to include to the MITerminator 2 Speaker Cables also. These are being offered at the Audio Advisor for just $120.00 for an 8 ft. pair. I have tied my whole system together using this stuff and I cannot say enough about it. The overall sound of my system is VERY clean and VERY clear. Their is plenty of resolution in the mid band, expansion in the soundstage, depth and space well into the stage itself, with a more open top end and conceivably, more extension and tightness in the lower registers. It sure makes my $550.00 list price (but I bought it used for $250.00) Adcom GFA-545 Mk.II power amplifier sound more like one that costs about $2,000.00. After hearing this stuff time and time again, it makes me wonder why do people continue to spend as much money on wire to tie their systems together as I would spend on a decent used car. I just don't get it.

Regards to you, 1953.....

--Charles--