Good speakers at low volume?

It's a known fact that a lot of speakers "come alive" when they reach at least moderate volume levels. However, since I live in an apartment, I'm looking for a good speakers where I won't lose all the details while playing at low volumes. In that respect Audio Physic speakers are great, full of detail, unfortunately they lack dynamics for me when I happen to listen to rhythm driven music. I'm thinking 4-8K price range (Dynaudio, Dali...). Any suggestions are appreciated.
branislav

Showing 1 response by jb0194

As Duke noted, you're fighting the Fletcher-Munson curve at low volumes.

If you're an apartment dweller going the dynamic "cone" transducer route (assuming a somehat small listening room):

- high efficiency 2 ways

- good small footprint stereo subs designed for music, not ht

- rat shak spl meter

Use the rat shak spl meter to equalize relative volumes of the 2 ways and subs at your preferred listening volume.

I'm not fond of a single sub, as harmonics extend well above 60hz, rendering the subs localizable. If adjacent to your mains, you won't notice if blended well.

It's a bit of a complicated setup, but there's no getting around the reality of how we "hear" at low volumes. It's the loudspeaker paradigm I use, being a low volume listener myself. I have a moderate sized room in a single family home, so can use a 2 way line array for a nice combination of high efficiency and "dynamics" ability.

I've not lived with 'stats, so can't comment on whether they could simplify matters for low volume apartment listening.