Good speaker match for Aleph 2s

Hello,
Just recently employed again so I'm looking at new speaker options. Right now I have a set of Aerial 7Bs powered by 2 Tim Rawson Aleph 2 clones (100 wpc). I'd like to look at something a bit more efficient for these great amps. The Aerials sound really good, but I'd like to see if I can get more punch and headroom for the louder music. Room is 12'x15' with 8' to 12' walls. I'm not a headbanger by all means, just looking at some options and perhaps an easier to drive speaker. Listening is all CD, SACD, DVD-Audio. System is:
Esoteric DV-50S
Promitheus Ref 4 preamp, Tim Rawson Aleph 1.7 clone
Rawson Aleph 2 clones amps
Aerial 7B
ExactPower EP15A
Basis speaker cable, Cardas and DIY interconnects, Oyaide Tunami P/C, DIY P/C
martay49

Showing 2 responses by danielk141

Martay49,

I've had my Aleph 2s for over 8 years. They've driven everything from Montana SPIIs, through Apogee Mini-Grands.
I would suggest you keep everything you have as is, and just add a subwoofer or 2. You can roll off your Aerials,
either with a crossover or filters like Vandersteen makes.
This will take the bass duty off your amps & speakers, and make the sub(s) do that work. I have 2 James EMB1200s now
for this duty. You can get 2 James subs or 1 JL Audio Fathom 113, used, for around $2K. Both subs are very good,
IMO.
Martay49,

I had one James EMB1200 & I bought a JL Audio Fathom 112,
to try out. In the meantime I found another James at a good price. I sold the F112 to a friend locally, simply because I prefer 2 subs to one, and also because I haven't upgraded my power delivery yet, in my living room.
I know most everyone on this site will say the JL subs are better, buy my 2 James are very good, for the price of one used Fathom 113.
The James are sealed & very musical, and they mate well with my Avalon Avatars, and my Usher BE-718s.