Good Sound under $500

Hello All,
I'll get to the point, I'm downsizing and looking for a good sounding, inexpensive speaker to hold me over until I can get a pair of Proac 1sc or the newer D1. I presently have an Arcam AVR300, Oppo BDP83, Totem Hawks, Totem Signature 1 Center, HSU VTF2 sub. The Totem Hawks and Signature are going to waste because I live in a duplex and we share a common wall in our living rooms which happens to be 13x18x8. I've always felt the Hawks had a little more bass than I needed, I'm not a bass hound. But I do like a good solid detailed bass, The Hawks's bass is a little overwhelming and not very detailed. I went to a local audio store and listened to the Usher Tiny Dancer BE-718, an amazing sounding speaker but out of my budget now or in the future but it's sound was more of what I am looking for. Definitely different than the Hawks.

I'm looking for a decent stand mounted Speaker with clarity, imaging, and decent bass down to about 60 or 70 hz. The sub can handle the rest if needed. Is the size I quoted above for my living room considered small or medium?

Some I've been thinking about are:
Epos els3
ERA D4/D5
PSB Image B6
Silverline Minuets (too small?)

To name a few. I've been reading the forums for the last month or so, this is where I decided on the Proac's but I have to wait till some come up for sale. Plus I will need a center channel speaker for these present and future speakers.

I listen to 50/50 movies/music, my musical tastes are Dave Matthews, Eric Clapton, acoustic guitar, blues, female vocals like Sarah Mclaclan, Bonnie Rait, etc.

I'm open to suggestions folks and thanks for your help.
denon53

Showing 1 response by rleff

Any interest in a active speaker;those quad actives for 475 might be able to hold you over until you can get the speakers you really want.