Good Sound under $500

Hello All,
I'll get to the point, I'm downsizing and looking for a good sounding, inexpensive speaker to hold me over until I can get a pair of Proac 1sc or the newer D1. I presently have an Arcam AVR300, Oppo BDP83, Totem Hawks, Totem Signature 1 Center, HSU VTF2 sub. The Totem Hawks and Signature are going to waste because I live in a duplex and we share a common wall in our living rooms which happens to be 13x18x8. I've always felt the Hawks had a little more bass than I needed, I'm not a bass hound. But I do like a good solid detailed bass, The Hawks's bass is a little overwhelming and not very detailed. I went to a local audio store and listened to the Usher Tiny Dancer BE-718, an amazing sounding speaker but out of my budget now or in the future but it's sound was more of what I am looking for. Definitely different than the Hawks.

I'm looking for a decent stand mounted Speaker with clarity, imaging, and decent bass down to about 60 or 70 hz. The sub can handle the rest if needed. Is the size I quoted above for my living room considered small or medium?

Some I've been thinking about are:
Epos els3
ERA D4/D5
PSB Image B6
Silverline Minuets (too small?)

To name a few. I've been reading the forums for the last month or so, this is where I decided on the Proac's but I have to wait till some come up for sale. Plus I will need a center channel speaker for these present and future speakers.

I listen to 50/50 movies/music, my musical tastes are Dave Matthews, Eric Clapton, acoustic guitar, blues, female vocals like Sarah Mclaclan, Bonnie Rait, etc.

I'm open to suggestions folks and thanks for your help.
denon53

Showing 3 responses by cdc

Hi Denon53, your welcome. I rec'd the CBM170, as I have not heard the Sierra, and it is a fine sounding speaker. It's a well designed speaker on the clean, accurate, side of the spectrum.
I have always preferred drivers with a phase plug (except dome midrange like ATC) so that would be my reservation with the Sierras.
Denon53, you might want to start a thread about phase plugs. What I can suggest is:

1) Seas likes them because it reduces air pressure build up behind the driver so it moves more freely. May not be important if the x-over point is under 1,500 Hz.

2) I think the voice coil is NOT attached to the driver cone so it is lighter.

3) The phase plug is designed to reflect sound of the inner diameter of the cone so you get more even dispersion as the frequencies increase. Normally dispersion is less and becomes more directional as the frequency increases.

I have directly compared Seas Excel W12CY003 which has a phase plug vs. Seas Prestige CA12RCY (solid cone) and even though the measurements Seas Excel W15LY-001 (Nextel) vs. Seas CA15RLY like harmonic distortion appear worse with the phase plug driver, the Excel sounds noticeably better. It is more dynamic, more detailed, and more alive sounding. This has happened generally across the board with commercial speakers like Revel, Focal, B&W etc. But since the Sierra is over twice the price, maybe it is better in spite of the driver's inherent shortcoming, IMHO.

Again, dome midrange are a whole other league and worth asking about if at least for information's sake.