Good Phono Pre-Amps...$500 to $1500

I am in the market for the best sounding phono pre-amp I can buy in the 500 to 1500 range. Will be using a Linn table/arm with a Dynavector DV-10X5. I listen at low to moderate levels, mainly to Jazz and female vocals...and a little rock and classics.

Thanks
whatjd

Showing 5 responses by sberger

do not buy anything without seriously considering the dynavector p-75. it hasn't been in this country very long, but you can get it now through music direct. $599. unbelievable giant killer, especialy if you're using a dynavector cart. read more about it on audioasylum.com in the vinyl area, or the naim and pink fish forum. i just got mine a few days ago and it's already shocked me. im using a benz glider l2, and the results as compared to the musical surroundings phonomena, my previous pre, are nothing less than dramatic. fast, clear, extremely musical. you can also get more info here: http://www.dynavector.co.jp/english/frame_cart/e_p75.html

oh, and im not affiliated with music direct nor dynavector in any way...

good luck!
i too have heard great things about the k&k, but it's hard for me to believe that it is worth nearly 3 times, with shipping, what the dynavector p-75 will get you. the incredible improvement on my system notwithstanding, this seems to be the general consensus on both sides of the atlantic. i suppose if you have cash to burn, it's a non issue. but because $1500 seems to be your limit, again i would encourage you to explore this amazing giant killer and spend the rest of vinyl.

good luck!
sounds like a fantastic phono...nonetheless, given the specific situation of whatjd, i'd still take the amp that will get you $1500 sound for $600, and either buy records, or even upgrade the cart, maybe with a dyn 20x-l for $525, or a dyn karat 17d2 for $750. And you still would have at least a few hundred left over for more vinyl.

anyhow, interesting choices...
sorry, i don't know. but im sure the nice folks at music direct would. give them a call. really is a remarkable unit.

i was using the musical surrounding phonomena previous to the p75. quite good, and very flexible. but honestly the dynavector was a major improvement in every way.

good luck!
i haven't heard the graham slee but it sounds fantastic. but if a low output cart is to be used, a step up will be required, probably bringing the total package to over $1500. On the other hand, the dynavector p-75 will provide amazing results for low output cartidges through design that it is specifically designed for. While it's perfomance for other carts is supposed to be great, it's at the low output area that it gives units 2-3 times it's price a run.