Good musical sub under $500

I need to replace my crappy old AudioSource sub, my listening room is 12'X14' x9', hardwood floors (livingroom, not sure if furniture such as couches effect subs in absorbing sound as it does with mids & tweeters) . It will be 70% music so a accurate tight bass is a must,. It will be matched up with my NAD T752 A/V and Paradigm Studio 20v3s up front. MY present Audiosource I've had for years has to be turned to full volume just to add some low-end (Crossed over at 80, anything higher and you get vocals and such coming out of it, really crappy as I said lol). I had ordered a Velodyne DLS-3750R earlier in the week(cancelled my order) the more I read up on them it seems they are rather boomy and velodyne's good subs are the higher end stuff which are out of my price range. Used is ok as long as it's from a reputable dealer or owner (ebay is definitely out, really don't trust high end stuff from there). Suggestions?
pmt1209

Showing 7 responses by pmt1209

To tell you the truth I never heard of the Onix Rocket UFW-10, but after some research the reviews were very very good, it's always mentioned they are "musical" which is exactly what I'm looking for. There was one review done which I cannot find now but the reviewer stacked it up against SVS, HSU and Velodyne and he was blown away by the Rocket UFW-10. But now I have heard of them and one is on the way :) and it's just the right size..

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/onix-ufw-10-subwoofer-5-2004.html

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/rocket_ufw_10.htm
I found that review I was speaking of earlier, it wasn't SVS & Velodyne but reference is made to both in the review(my bad, the SVS didn't arrive in time for the comparison). This was done by a completely unbias person who is into more the HT end but also included music in the review, very interesting reading and LONG(9 pages long but includes interation from others in the forum).. He compared AperionS-12, RocketUFW-10, and HsuVTF-3/STF-1.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/576244/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1

Also another review from Audioholics on this sub.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AV123RocketUFW-10Subwoofer1.php

Thx Ozzy62 and Rysa4 for pointing this little guy out to me (it is smaller then my present sub and 5 times more powerful),, should be here early next week.
Just an update for anyone else interested in a UFW-10, the person I bought mine off had two (one I bought obviously) and the other he is selling now. He is moving up to the UFW-12, he's a great guy, a detective in NY state. The subs were only a year old and really weren't put into use until 6 months ago when he finished his HT setup.. It's a UFW-10 in Rosewood.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=1.1

I got lucky and noticed he was thinking of doing this at another forum and e-mailed him asking if he was seriously interested in going that route and I would be very interested in buying one of his two.. he has pics, very nice, look to be 9/10 just because they are used.Just wanted to throw it our here for you guys, you've always been a great help to me and so informative!
Rackon,
No offense taken honestly, the Rocket UFW-10 maybe "mid-fi". Which is perfect for I feel I have what you call mid-fi equipment, hence the reason I can only afford a sub for $500 or under. True High-End listeners wouldn't set their glass on a $500 sub :). As for the reviews the one from "Goodsounds" which is not into "home theater" actually said the UFW-10 would be the perfect match for Magnepan MMG Ws which he states is hard for subs to do.I always considered Maggies as high end and out of my league $$ wise, albeit maggie owners on a budget(me again lol). I never heard Alon Centris subs but I'll take your word on them, doing a search I even see where they can be had for $300 new at CSA AUDIO, sure now you tell me about them as I sit here waiting for the UFW-10 to arrive LOL... either way I know I'll be happy, the UFW-10 should match very well with my "mid-fi" Paradigm Studio 20v3s, considering the piece of $%*! AudioSource sub I've been using LOL...
One question though Rackon, you sure your not confusing the Rocket UFW with the Rocket ULW?? it their lower sub, the UFW-10 and UFW-12 are their higher end subs..
Phasecorrect,
I will thanks... and YES I believe it, I have a pair of B&W monitors I replaced 2 years ago with my present Paradigms but just can't part with them.. they're sitting in the basement covered and dry for I know someday I will use them again or hand them down to one of my kids.. they do make great speakers. Speakers are all personel preferece, to one person a pair may sound wonderful then to another not... Subs are the same way, it's all personel preference. I've been a drummer all my life and still play and I know what sound I like, we'll see with the rockets, I keep hearing they are tight and musical not boomy and earthshaking low to me that is not musical that's special effects.. we'll see when it arrives early next week. One thing I have noticed when the Rocket UFW-10 goes up for sale be it here or at their site they are gone within a couple hours.. I've been beat out of around 4 this past week alone and only got mine because I approached a fellow on their forum who mentioned in a thread he might move up to the UFW-12s..
Rysa4's quote:
" I've been a musician for 30 years and am classically trained in music and have performed under world renowned conductors."
I am truely impressed.. that's wonderful!! I too was a bit disappointed in Rackon's comments but as he said I took it "with a very several large grains of salt" beside the fact they were not aimed at me, technically I don't even have a Rocket UFW-10 yet lol, but I am sure there were some who were offended.. Like you I as a musician (no where near in your league) feel I have a pretty good sense of what music "should" sound like. Along with that I would never bash any product unless it was absolutely a given (say comparing Altec Lansing PC sub to a Hsu VTF-2). As I said earlier everyone has their own preferences, I like the sound of Ludwig Classics others like the sound of Pearl References, is one better then the other absolutely not. I always treat this forum as a constructive site not a destructive one and always will...
Ajn22 it's funny you should mention the VR-1s I came sooo close to pulling the trigger on a pair of them when I bought the Paradigm Studios, the reviews for them were just incredible but I couldn't track down any dealers remotely close to me to give them a listen and still just on reviews by mags and owners I almost ordered them sight unseen but decided $1000 was just too much $$ to take that chance.. I bet they are as good as they say huh?? Even to give the Paradigms a listen I had to drive an hour and a half to find a dealer. Sadly Best Buy and Circuit City put all our local mid to hi fi dealers out of business. Thanks for the reassurance on the UFW-10, If the UFW-10 works with your VR-1s they should be a good fit for my Studio 20v3s.. Who would know more about a good tight musical low end then a bass player :) What amp/receiver are you using with them if I may ask?