Good monitors used under $1000?

HI. I am using a small room, and need some downsizing options. My room is currently 14x16x9, and I listen to a variety of music-classic jazz, modern jazz, electronic ambient and trance, alternative rock, and classical. My front end consists of a Cal Audio Icon MKII CDP, C-J PV10A tube preamp, and B&K Ref 4420 (225wpc) amp. I need something that is great on vocals and strings, but doesn't give too much away on the bass, and doesn't sound horrible with less than perfect source material.

I have so far listened to the Paradigm Studio 20's and 40's, Sonic Faber Concertino (cheapest monitor) and Vandersteen 1C's. I liked all, but the Sonus Faber had great vocals and also sounded great on classical strings. The Vandersteens were more well-rounded, with better bass. The Paradigms sounded good, but they were in a different listening environment-they did have good bass response, at least the 40 V.2 did. I would also be open to other suggestions. I don't really want to spend over $1000 used, and may downsize my front end amp, if necessary (I doubt I need 200wpc to run a monitor).
dawgcatching

Showing 1 response by jb3

Dawgcatching,
Before purchasing the Europas I actually did listen to the Von Schweikert VR-1. It's really not on the same page with the Europas IMO. I just wasn't all that impressed with the VR-1, but to be fair, it was not exactly an ideal room, source, etc.
As far as the appearance of the Europas goes, I will echo what abbeydog, songwriter, and mijknarf said. What I like about them is that they have a modern and original appearance, rather than another wodden box. All of Roy's speakers are a little different than the norm, some people like them, some don't.