Good monitors used under $1000?

HI. I am using a small room, and need some downsizing options. My room is currently 14x16x9, and I listen to a variety of music-classic jazz, modern jazz, electronic ambient and trance, alternative rock, and classical. My front end consists of a Cal Audio Icon MKII CDP, C-J PV10A tube preamp, and B&K Ref 4420 (225wpc) amp. I need something that is great on vocals and strings, but doesn't give too much away on the bass, and doesn't sound horrible with less than perfect source material.

I have so far listened to the Paradigm Studio 20's and 40's, Sonic Faber Concertino (cheapest monitor) and Vandersteen 1C's. I liked all, but the Sonus Faber had great vocals and also sounded great on classical strings. The Vandersteens were more well-rounded, with better bass. The Paradigms sounded good, but they were in a different listening environment-they did have good bass response, at least the 40 V.2 did. I would also be open to other suggestions. I don't really want to spend over $1000 used, and may downsize my front end amp, if necessary (I doubt I need 200wpc to run a monitor).
dawgcatching

Showing 1 response by abbeydog

I really like the way the four post Sound Anchors look with the Europas. To my eye the four posts match the lines of the speaker much better than the Osiris twin cylinders.
They sound good too!