Good looking Towers for < $2000?

Going to upgrade from my Paradigm Studio-20 V5s.  These are on stands. 
I've decided to go with towers this time.  I don't like stands that much.
Anyway, for living room 2ch music.  WAF and attractiveness are important for the living room.
Not looking for black rectangular boxes.
I tend to like moderate/soft levels.   Jazz, folk, classical, new age, some rock.

I am also looking for a bit more bass than the Studio 20s give me (54Hz low-freq).

Salk looks nice and gets great reviews (SongBirds, SongTowers).

How are PSB?   Any other good suggestions?

Thx,
Rob

albireo13

Showing 2 responses by abd1

I was in the same predicament lately; looking for small, attractive floorstanders for the living room. A local Hi-Fi shop had a used pair of Totem Hawks for sale for only $1200. Excellent condition, nice cherry finish, and I love small size floorstanders, so I had to take them home. I was a little torn about getting them because I've had songtowers before and loved them, but they're too big for my current space but I've been thinking about songbirds for a while. However, at $1200 I couldn't pass up the Hawks and they do remind me a lot of the songtowers. They actually go a little deeper than the songtowers, but I did prefer the songtower tweeter and overall tonality of the salks, but its close and for the money I feel like I got a great set of speakers. I think if the songbirds sound close to songtowers, which they should, they will be excellent. But If you can find a used pair of Hawks I recommend them too.

Just an FYI, there are a couple of good deals on the bay for some songtowers if that sways you at all. Also check out the LSA 2.1, and I saw some good deals on the Rega RX5 tower on the speaker classifieds. That looks like a nice small tower. KEF R500 is nice sounding/looking as is the Tannoy line. Those can often be found at good deals used. You have quite a few good options, good luck.

You're Nuprime will drive the songbirds and probably sound great. The Hawks aren't that efficient either and I'm using a Peachtree Nova 220. They sound great, detailed, dynamic, maybe even too much bass, but that could be the room too. Your Nuprime sounds like a sweet sounding integrated. The funny thing about the Totems.... I wasn't planning on buying them. I just wanted to take my wife to the store to demo them because she hasn't really heard a nice hi-fi system, other than briefly hearing my songtowers before I sold them :( . My plan was for her to hear the Totems and then hopefully she'd understand why it would be nice to have some great sounding and looking speakers in the living room. I was planning on having her help me pick a finish for some songbirds, or maybe a philharmonic speaker with salk cabinet, but once she heard the Totems she said she had goosebumps. She liked their small size and the cherry finish almost perfectly matched the liquor cabinet they're straddling. So she said just get these. At the price, I couldn't say no. One nice thing with the Salks is that you could have your wife pick a veneer. I can tell you from experience I have never seen a better looking speaker than the Salks. The Hawks are pretty nice, but the Salks are at another level regarding the finish and cabinetry. Truly furniture grade finishes -- actually nicer than a lot of furniture!