Good integrated match for B&W CDM 1 NT

Looking for a short list of integrated amps that match well with my CDM 1NT's. I am using an Onkyo TX-NR807 I inherited, great specs, but listening fatigue. I appreciate any help that is out there, I believe that "bright" is the correct term for my displeasure. Am I looking in the wrong direction? Is there a better option? Using a Technics DVD-A10 as the source, monster interconnects, 16 gauge speaker wire. Limited budget!

Thanks for your input.
tntate

Showing 2 responses by zd542

If your funds are limited, I would go with something that has a passive line stage. Cheap active line stages are almost always bright. A Creek 5350SE would be a very good choice. If you are willing to go with 2 separate pieces, I would recommend getting a standalone passive LS and a power amp; instead of an integrated. You have more choices that way.
Tntate,

"First, I'm uncertain as to what a line stage is, passive or active. Is my Onkyo active? How can I tell? Also, is this something listed in the specs by most equipment manufacturers? Is passive a better match for my speakers and what should I be looking for as a minimum power rating. "

Sorry it took so long to respond. I didn't see your response until now. A line stage is a preamp. The reason people use the term line stage instead of preamp is because a line stage only accepts line level inputs . CD players, Radio, Cassette etc, are all examples of line level components. A turntable needs a special type of input on a preamp, and is not considered a line level source. Unless, of course, you get an external phono preamp. The output on a phono preamp does qualify as line level so you can plug that into your line stage.

Simply put: A line stage is a preamp that does not have a phono input. Back when everyone was listening to records, just about every preamp was considered "fully featured", and had a phono input. Now that records are optional, no one wants to pay for something they will not use.

I see your question about active and passive. When I have more time a little later I will post again.