Good choices for first time DIY speaker?

I have been looking over the Madisound catalog and thinking about trying one their speaker kits. They have kits for many top quality drivers that look easy enough to build. Is it as simple as it looks? What info can you offer on this subject ( tips, websites, books, kits, etc...). Thanks, this really sounds like a great way to better understand how speakers work
osclib

Showing 2 responses by mi3491

I built the North Creek Rhythm kit and love it. See http://www.northcreekmusic.com/ and check out the stuff
I feel that if you want to build speakers for your system from scratch and you never did it before you should do a kit. I bought a mess of Dynaudio driver and proceeded to build one speaker (I wanted to perfect one before building the other). The driver selection, and the crossover points and order as well as the box size and shape, make it almost an endless combination. I am a mechanical engineer and designed a few machines but speaker design took way more time than I thought. I played around with designs for years and never realy enjoyed listening to the music. I looked at several speaker kit companies and felt the North Creek had the best designed crossover. I have been very happy with the speakers and for the money you can't beat them. You will need to make or have the boxes made. The design process is very hard with speaker design. You will need to do alot of playing until you are satisfied. I was never satisfied so I went for the kit.