Good, basic receiver for $500 or so?

Hey all,

So, after getting burned in classic caveat emptor on an otherwise well-reviewed Onkyo 636 I bought on Ebay that now no longer works, I'm looking for good advice on a receiver in the $500 range for a basic 2.1 or perhaps 5.1 set-up.

Keep in mind I've been a 2-channel audiophile for years and see receivers as a necessary evil (though I know they can be quite good in their own right) for a DVD/streaming movie sound experience. If I could use a good integrated, I'd be much more comfortable.

Particulars:

1. Wattage isn't important. I have a pair of Stereophile-rated Pioneers SP-122 that are rated at 6 ohms.

2. We would use this receiver for Bluetoothing Pandora and internet radio, streaming Netflix and concerts, and the occasional DVD. No interest in 7.1 or duel subs or couch-shaking bass. I have an Acoustic Zen/VPI/LSA set-up in the downstairs listening room for that.

3. Someone mentioned 4K/HDCD 2.2 being the video of the near future. Should I worry about that? The Onkyo 636 offered that as well as bluetooth, etc.

4. I'm not adverse to any brand. I do wish my Onkyo worked. I even took it to the local electronic repair place who bench tested it and said it was fine; however, they also said that the diagnostic indicated it had reached 265 degrees before it shut down at my place. After hooking everything back up last night, it started shutting down again and wouldn't even recognize bluetooth or emit FM/AM sound. Sigh. It's not worth another bench fee to figure things out.

Regards,

Simao
128x128simao

Showing 1 response by mechans

The class D argument can be a long winded one but usually ends up as-If properly implemented for specific applications class D amps are very good efficient and useful.
Personally most don't do the trick for me.