Good Amp for Spica TC-60 speakers under $1000

I am looking for a good amplifier to drive my Spica TC-60 speakers. One place recommended the Rocksan Kandy MIII Intergrated amp 115w/channel. Any input is greatly appreciated.
tznkrt

Showing 1 response by gullahisland

I drove a pair of TC-60s with both a Forte Model 4 (50wpc pure class A) and a Sonic Frontiers Integrated 2 (90wpc).

The Forte was a much better match. The Spicas are reasonably efficient and have a pretty benign impedence (6 ohms nominal?).

The Forte Model 4 is one of the absolute steals on the used market and can be had for under $500 and sometimes under $400 if you're patient but ready to act quickly as they don't usually last long. I'm very sorry that I didn't keep mine. I had it paired with a Forte Model 2 preamp which I picked up for $250. The law of diminishing returns kicks in VERY quickly and I honestly don't think that there's anything that can better the Forte for less than $900-1000 and even then the choices are few.

The Spicas are great speakers. If you feed them properly, you'll have a true giant-killer of a system. Let us know what you end up with.