Goldring GR-1.2, NAD 533 -- any difference?

Hi. Newbie question. I am interested in getting into vinyl and am looking for an entry level turntable that's easy to set up. Two budget turntables that I have heard good things about are the NAD 533 and the Goldring GR-1.2. They are both, I understand Rega P2 clones. However, the NAD lists for $100 more than the Goldring. Is there a difference that justifies the higher price of the NAD?
(The records I have are mostly rock and classical. Some Jazz too. My amp is the Rotel 1062 integrated, which has a phono stage).
mbrooker

Showing 3 responses by stylinlp_38

I own a Goldrin GR1.2 and did a review on it over at AudioAsylum. Its a great table for the money.

The arm base is quite differant. It uses the RegaP9 3 point mounting method. Much more stable and rigid. But, unfortunately, its plastic. As far as I know, no one makes an aftermarket spacer or replacement for that arm base. Thats why I was asking what other carts are a good swap match for the cart that comes with it so I can upgrade without worrying about VTA. All the other upgrades do work with this table.
One problem with your plan Mbrooker. The old NAD turntables used the old style pre-2000 rega motor mounts. Thats a bad thing. Rega finnally admitted their poor design and upgraded the motor and mount in 2000. Warbled speed variations is one such problem they had. Also stability over time. I really don't know how they designed the Goldring after the fact a few years ago. I would assume they did it right. Or better than pre2000 issues.
As far as I understand NAD hasn't made their turntables in 7-10 years or so. You can only buy them used. Definately modeled off the old Rega build from pre-2000.