Goldring GR-1.2, NAD 533 -- any difference?

Hi. Newbie question. I am interested in getting into vinyl and am looking for an entry level turntable that's easy to set up. Two budget turntables that I have heard good things about are the NAD 533 and the Goldring GR-1.2. They are both, I understand Rega P2 clones. However, the NAD lists for $100 more than the Goldring. Is there a difference that justifies the higher price of the NAD?
(The records I have are mostly rock and classical. Some Jazz too. My amp is the Rotel 1062 integrated, which has a phono stage).
mbrooker

Showing 1 response by jc2000

I remember reading something that indicated that the Goldring is NOT a Rega P2 clone--the design is similar, but not the same. This would help explain why it's cheaper than the P2 or the NAD. Presumably, it won't perform as well, although, given the good press, it should be a good turntable for the price.

As far as I know, the NAD is very similar to the Rega. (But don't quote me on this!) The one difference I know of is that the platter was different in the early years, although I think Rega started using the NAD-style platter later on.