Goldring 1042 or Rega Exact

I currently own a Rega Planar 3 turntable with a Rega Elys cartridge. It sounds okay, but my digital front end (CAL Delta transport and Musical Fidelity A324) kills it. I am thinking of changing the cartridge, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Goldring 1042 or Rega Exact. I am leaning towards the Exact for obvious reasons (i.e., Rega, Rega) but have read good things about the 1042. Feedback from any 1042 or Exact owners is appreciated.

As a side question, I am thinking of purchasing one of these two cartridges from Hong Kong suppliers here on Audiogon. Their feedback is extremely positive. Has anybody had a bad experience with purchasing over seas that I should know about?

Thanks in advance for your input, and Happy Thanksgiving.
mmowry

Showing 3 responses by bombaywalla

Hi!

I own a G1042 & use it on my Origin Live Silver 250. It is an excellent cartridge that is very well suited to ALL REGA arms. I'm sure that you know that the OL Silver 250 is a major modification to the Rega 250 tonearm??
I'm sure that the Rega Exact is also a very fine match for your Rega tonearm but I can confidently tell you that the G1042 is also an equally fine match.
Smooth highs, rich midrange & plenty of bass slam. Sounds great right out of the box. Gets much better after about 50 hrs of play time - the highs get more extended. It is my personal opinion that the G1042 is one of the finest MM cartridges out there. Very well priced too.

BTW, you didn't mention which tonearm you are using? I just *assumed* you have a Rega tonearm! I might be wrong, of course.
Mmowry,

I'm pretty certain that the G1042 is a very good match for the RB300. Maybe others who also have experience w/ this cart. reading this thread can also chime in.
Another suggestion for research is to go over to AudioAsylum.com & search the vinyl asylum archives for G1042. Plenty of good stuff written on this cart. as it is very popular. Read the good & the bad on this as nothing is perfect. This MM does more rights than wrongs by a long shot in my books.
FWIW. IMHO.
Stefanl,

A. Conti of Bluenote 'tables????

AFAIK, AJ Conti is of Basis 'tables & Mauricio Azerini (spelling?) is of Bluenote 'tables.

BTW, I don't know that Basis made acrylic platters! None of them look like acrylic to me but I could be wrong!