Going linear - The Luxman 507ux

No one panic, but I just picked up the last Luxman 507ux in the US. About 110w/ch with power meters. 😀

Ill compare them directly with my Class Ds at home. 
erik_squires
I'm not jumping on board in any class wars, erik. I do think that if people want to see what any given manufacturer can do, it should be with their top of the line offering in that format, though.
@erik_squires I purchased a 505uX from the same dealer. I like it very much with my Harbeth SHL 5 Plus Anniversary speakers.
I listen at moderate levels, never above 80dB. At these levels, I find that I prefer the "loudness" feature engaged. I am familiar with the concept, in my office system, my Mac C-26 has a loudness control.

Taking into account that these are very different amps, I'm wondering how you use the loudness control. I think you have mentioned that you live in an apartment. I find that I have to turn the volume up quite loud to get the same effect as with the loudness engaged.
Thanks.
Eric   
I recently drank the Luxman Kool Aid and have replaced my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated with the Luxman 509x.
Here's my two cents;
I've been a tube guy for a long time.  Since 1988 or so.  I've had the VTL Deluxe 100s, Deluxe 225s, Manley 350s.  All monoblocks.  Tubed pre amps by VTL and CAT.  During that time I had Maggies and then Martin Logan. 

The past few years I had Quad 2805s driven by the Primaluna. 

It was all very good, very listenable and I love the musicality of tubes. 

Last year I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Dali Epicon 8s.  These speakers are not what you would call an analyst's dream speaker.  They sound like music which is exactly what I wanted.  The Primaluna worked great and delivered what you'd expect from a good tube amp; smooth highs, wonderful midrange and pretty solid bass.
When I got the Luxman I really expected a different "flavor" of music.  Not necessarily better, just a bit different.  What happened was that the highs and mids remained extremely musical and the mid bass to low bass was completely transformed, in a good way.
The bottom is tighter, more controlled and musical than with the Primaluna.  Imaging is a tad better, both left and right and front to back.  The Primaluna has 70 watts per channel, the Luxman 120 and doubles at 4 ohms to 220.  The Epicon 8s are 5 ohms, so they are seeing a greater power reserve and it shows.
The Primaluna is a wonderful integrated.   I believe the real difference is that the synergy between the Luxman and the Dali Epicon 8s is simply magical.

Like a lot of you, I've read a lot of the 509x reviews.  They are for real.  This is a great piece of gear.
I was lucky enough to find a two month old unit for a good price so I guess you could call me a happy camper.

- Bob

@jzzmusican Only tube amps I have ever found to control bass about as good as solid state are from Audio Research, especially with the KT150s. Primalunas are nice, but not in the same league as AR gear. Luxman imaging is great, like you said, tad better than Primaluna. AR VT80/REF75SE take it to holographic levels.

Taking into account that these are very different amps, I'm wondering how you use the loudness control.
@ericsch 

Honestly I don't. :) I think for me I get enough resolution at lower levels, though occasionally the music is so interesting I do raise the volume.

I think you have mentioned that you live in an apartment. I find that I have to turn the volume up quite loud to get the same effect as with the loudness engaged.

I do, and I probably should try the loudness button sometime. Yes, that's the whole point, is to improve upon our hearing at low volumes so we can hear a broader range.  The last time I seriously attempted to use the tone controls was at the dealer, where I had to cut the bass and treble to get the Wilson's balance to stop hurting me, and honestly they impressed me by doing exactly what I needed without any noticeable negative effects.

I think part of the issue may be that I don't have a lot of light at my listening location and I'm reluctant to turn one on to figure out where the right button is on the remote. This is a very good sounding integrated, but the Luxman remotes need a serious ergonomic overhaul.