Going linear - The Luxman 507ux

No one panic, but I just picked up the last Luxman 507ux in the US. About 110w/ch with power meters. 😀

Ill compare them directly with my Class Ds at home. 
erik_squires

Showing 3 responses by jzzmusician

Erik,
For the past 3 years I've had a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated.  Besides the stock EL34 tubes, (stupid good) I also had a set of KT 150s. 

Luxman just kept popping up on my radar.  Over and over again. I read the reviews, talked to some friends and pulled the trigger even though I've never heard one.  I live in a small town and the nearest Luxman dealer is at least 300 miles away.   My Epicon 8s will take a lot of power and I had some gear I wasn't using and at the end of the day I had money in the bank.  I'm very curious as to how it will stand up to the Primaluna, as I found it to be a very fine piece of gear.

I'm pretty pumped.  I'll be sure and let you know how it goes on Monday when I get to fire it up.
Also, please accept a quick thank you for your contributions to the forum.  I don't post very often, but I read and appreciate your input here.
- Bob
Eric,
I'm the latest Luxman fatality.  Found a screaming deal on an almost new 509x.  Should be here Monday.  It'll be driving my Dali Epicon 8s.
Except for the time when I was in school, this will be my first transistor amplifier.  I've had tubes for 32 years.

I'll let you know how it goes. 

- Bob
I recently drank the Luxman Kool Aid and have replaced my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated with the Luxman 509x.
Here's my two cents;
I've been a tube guy for a long time.  Since 1988 or so.  I've had the VTL Deluxe 100s, Deluxe 225s, Manley 350s.  All monoblocks.  Tubed pre amps by VTL and CAT.  During that time I had Maggies and then Martin Logan. 

The past few years I had Quad 2805s driven by the Primaluna. 

It was all very good, very listenable and I love the musicality of tubes. 

Last year I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Dali Epicon 8s.  These speakers are not what you would call an analyst's dream speaker.  They sound like music which is exactly what I wanted.  The Primaluna worked great and delivered what you'd expect from a good tube amp; smooth highs, wonderful midrange and pretty solid bass.
When I got the Luxman I really expected a different "flavor" of music.  Not necessarily better, just a bit different.  What happened was that the highs and mids remained extremely musical and the mid bass to low bass was completely transformed, in a good way.
The bottom is tighter, more controlled and musical than with the Primaluna.  Imaging is a tad better, both left and right and front to back.  The Primaluna has 70 watts per channel, the Luxman 120 and doubles at 4 ohms to 220.  The Epicon 8s are 5 ohms, so they are seeing a greater power reserve and it shows.
The Primaluna is a wonderful integrated.   I believe the real difference is that the synergy between the Luxman and the Dali Epicon 8s is simply magical.

Like a lot of you, I've read a lot of the 509x reviews.  They are for real.  This is a great piece of gear.
I was lucky enough to find a two month old unit for a good price so I guess you could call me a happy camper.

- Bob