Go Cat8!

I just changed my Maicord Opal Cat6 which was no slouch in its day to an Onti Cat8 from AliExpress, linking the Etherregen to my InnuOS Zenith Mk3: Shazam, cristal clear treble, vibrating bass and an enormous increase in the recordings‘ ambience and liveliness. It goes to emphasize how important the short bit of cable between switch and server actually is. Highly recommended, the Onti Cat8 is a heavy gauge, heavily shielded cable with state of the art magnesium connectors.

antigrunge2

I just ordered a 12 meter and a 1 meter and it was $95 total, so not too bad. 

I didn't feel like spending another $40 on shipping, so it will take a while to arrive.  

Different topic but regarding the "law of diminishing returns", if $100 of ethernet cable provides even a 1% improvement in the system, in my case that would be a value of over $1000.   

Or you go with fiberoptic converter and very short cat8 instead of 12 M copper. 

That made a nice improvement in my system 🙂

I’ve tried fiberoptic converters in several implementations in my system and it’s always sounded thin, lacking real natural tone of instruments and voices. I think its the conversion of photons back to electrons at the receiving end that generates harmonics of the fundamental signal frequency, that then interfere with the downstream electronics.