GMA Callisto feedback Green Mountain Audio

Anyone else breaking in a pair of these speakers? I have a pair with about 24 hours on them, and I hear moments of spectacular sound, but not yet at low listening levels. I know 200 hours is the magic break-in time period.

See my system under "Leahy" listed under "evolving system" for other system details.

Let me know if you would like updates as these break in...
128x128leahy
I own Europas and I think they've really come on song in the last couple of weeks ... and I've owned them for about 2 months, though with not much time for use.

So breakin would seem to be required. I think the europas use the same low frequency drivers.

I also find that I have to turn the volume up a little to get the best ... they can sound a little thin at very low volumes.

I also agree about the spectacular sound ... on a good recoding the speakers completely disappear, and there's a huge and deep soundstage with superb imaging.

If there's a weak point with the Europas then IMO the bass is neither very strong nor very deep for such a large monitor, but I cross mine with a REL strata and the results are spectacular.
Leahy,
Yes please let us know. I have the Europa and have heard from one other new owner only so far.
Oh and the Europas did take 200 hrs or so to sound best.
Thanks, Scott
I've heard great raves about the GMA Europas, but I haven't heard them in person. Heard great raves about some Magnepans and actually heard some (12 & 3.6) that really knocked me out. Haven't heard anyone weigh in who's listened to both. The Maggies look more like sofa cushions from an RV than speakers, but they sound so alive! I'd be excited to hear another speaker that inspired the same response (for less than $1500). Are Europas one?
Hi guys, I own the Europa's and have had them almost two years. Let me tell you your in for some sonic pleasure as they break in fully. This takes around 1000 hours, regardless of what others might say. At that 1000 hour point they become quite seductive in their sound. From around 200 hours on, they just get better and better and better. As far as bass response goes, although they are not as strong as a good subwoofer, they have very tunefull, accurate bass down to around the mid 40's in my room. In fact they do the low bass string (open "E"?) on a contra bass effortlessly. The bass really opens up with time....but you need to beat the hell out of these things and play them loud. Quiet won't break them in. I'd bet the Callisto's will have similar characteristics. Play em loud!
I've had my Callistos for about 2 weeks now. They arrived with about 100 hours of burn in on them, and I've played them about 40 more since then. Right out of the box they sounded remarkable. Rhythmic, effortlessly tuneful, with engaging voicing on all instruments (voices, guitars, piano, as well as low-end instruments, cellos and bass guitars). Tonight I finally ran my low end test on them -- Beatles' "Come Together" on vinyl. This is incredible! I've got a smaller room (12 x 15) and these 6" woofers just filled it with Paul's cocksure bass lines. I'm not a tech-oriented person,so I have no measuring instruments -- I just know that I've listened to this song in many places, large and small, over many years (too many), on many systems, and it's never sounded this good. Real loud, with no break up, no strain, just pacing and pounding, and John's vocals clear and compelling. A couple of tracks later on Maxwell Silver Hammer I suddenly noticed these 2 acoustic guitars, quite treble-y, playing fast little chords, adding an angle I've never heard before and altering my understanding of the song, after all these years.

Besides great bass, incredible instrument voicing, and captivating pace, I have found one more surprising thing with the Callistos: at least 50% of the sibilance I've put up with for years is now gone. Just disappeared. I had been assuming that most of the sibilance I was hearing was inescapable, built into the source material -- WRONG! I'm listening to Norah Jones, to Indigo Girls, to Ella, Dakota Staton, and there's barely an ssssss to distract me. When I do hear it, it sounds natural, less annoying, and it's gone before I realize it.

It's funny, I've been meaning to post my initial impressions for the past 6 or 7 days, but whenever I have a chance to do so I decide to listen to music instead. The other side of Let it Be just finished in the next room. I'm goin' back for more....