Glitch with Wadia 861

I've got a minor glitch with a Wadia 861.

When I push the button to open the transport tray, (either on the unit or on the remote) the tray will open and as soon as it is completely open, it then immediately begins to close (and the display changes from "open" to "close"). In order to get it to stay open, I have to push open again while it is closing. The same thing happens when I finally get it to stay open, and push the button to close, it will close and then immediately start to open again.

Also, when this started happening, the tray seemed noisier when it was opening or closing. It was smooth and quiet when I first got the 861, and now it has a slight noise that sounds like a friction buzz when it opens/closes.

It doesn't affect sound quality at all, but it sure isn't functioning as it should. I did try unplugging the unit for over a minute, and then hooking it back up. That didn't help.

Has anyone ever run into this phenomenon before? I'm hoping it's something common with a quick and easy home fix. Any suggestions (short of packing it up and sending back to get it fixed)?

Thanks,
coffee_nudge

Showing 2 responses by hbrandt

I've seen this sort of thing from time to time....both on my WT2000s and my current 270se. Usually if you reboot the machine it is fine. I agree with calling Steve Huntley at Great northern sound.

Reb1208:
If you heard lots of noise from the 860x my guess is that it was a faulty unit...or the noise is elsewhere in your system. i've heard lots of 860's, 861's etc. Their great strength is the black background and dynamics.
Sounds like the drive was slightly out of alignment with the front face plate....and you adjusted it. You may end up needing to open the unit or get it serviced.....but for now, I'm glad you got it working.