Given Avalon Eidleon is considered one of the best

What about the rest of their line?Know that Fi Magazine a few years ago said it was (at the time) the state of the art (of course their were other speakers they could have picked like Wilson,100,000K Martin Logans, etc. and many speakers like highlky touted new $20K Ariel hadn't come out) for thos opf you knowlegeable about the line how consisitent is it?I know that with any company there are products at certain price points that stand out but wondering about smaller cheaper Avalons and how they stack up against say the B&W's Harbeths,Spendors.AudioPhysics,SilverLines,Josephs,Dali's,Sonus Faber's,Quads, etc etc and so many otherfine speakers availible today.Some company's seem to have more consistency then others in their entire product line while others have standouts.Just wondering about those who are informed and what they think of those speakers lesser in size and price than the Eidelons?Let's say Avalons $10K and less.
Thanks
chazzbo
chazzbo

Showing 3 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Jeff,Hi and I hope all is well.To answer your concern regarding the super tweeters--To me,as you know,the "basic" Ascent is too god to replace.In my entire set-up I like to consider refining,through good mods,or valid tweaks,before selling anything.This way I have a system that is unique to my tastes.
My Rel Stentor decision took me two years of contemplation,and listening to various subs,before I chose mine.I don't know why yours is mostly off.Mine took me a LONG time to correctly get a seamless blend.I have it about three feet out from the back,right rear wall,and two feet to the side,set at 25 hz,and with VERY little gain.This adds depth,power and dynamics,but NO seams at all.It only comes into play based on program material.The Ascents,with todays best componentry still has fine low end performance,but I am looking to mate the Ascent's strengths,with an all out assault in SOTA performance for a speaker of reasonable size.You already know how gorgeous they are.
So having recently been to a fellow's home,who also has the same sub,using the surprisingly wonderful Sonus Faber Extrema speakers,also no longer being made,and employing the Townshend super Ribbon tweeter(which has adjustable gain,to match any speaker),we A/B'd the tweeters.I was shocked as to how they subtley improved inner textures and air.The surprising thing was that they don't come in until 20,000hz!!Who would have thought it would be so clearly obvious.It was,and I've been at this hobby for over 35 years.

So,I began researching the viability of a good add on super tweeter,that mated well with my Ascent,and could level the playing field with the Berylium/Diamond tweeter crowd.I still feel the Titanium modded tweeter,that the Ascents have is superb,but I was shocked by the Townshend performance on my friend's set-up.And they are flexible,like the REL.A no brainer,to me!Without having to sell my own,beloved and fabulous Ascents.So,I've come down to the Townshend vs the Muratas.Not cheap,but the Ascents deserve the best.When you consider what I'd have to pay,if I sold my Ascents,and bought a comparable speaker,having my current bass,and with a newer tweeter capability,you soon realize I'm saving multiple thousands of dollars/Euros,and will probably still end up with the better configuration.I have heard the Kharma Midi Exquisite on a couple of occassions,which cost 75 grand,and to me,the Ascents are clearly superior.I want to protect my initial investment,for the years to come.I believe the basic speaker is that good.Just my opinion.

That's my take,since you asked.

Best of luck!
Vincent,thanks.I hope to keep you updated,but it will take some time.I'm in no rush.Think by fall,2006,I should be done.Maybe sooner!

Best!
Meaning no disrespect,this business of "house sound" is a bit silly.The system is dependent on the Amp/speaker interface,the room personality,and the associated equipment being used.After that,it is up to the experience,and skills of the owner to take it to the max.
I own,and love,the Avalon Ascent-mk2.It is a superb timeless design,of true Heirloom quality.Easy load(a BIG deal),external crossover,sealed enclosure,that is massive.This surely would be far more costly,in today's market.
Upon Avalon's about face,on the subject of porting vs sealed enclosures,what I did,to stay abreast of their quest to satisfy the "bass obsessed",was to add a REL STENTOR,to the system.I did this at the criticism of my audio pals,yet it has worked out incredibly well.It has allowed me to keep the advantages of this stunning sealed design,while adding a real Wallop,and depth.However it took me a long time to correctly voice,with absolutely NO seam.
I am now looking into adding a superb super tweeter,to stay abreast of the new tweeter technologies,and keep my system competitive with the best the New Avalon CO has to offer.These add on designs do exist,if one does some homework,and some are better matches than others.I have heard almost all models of the newer Avalons(which are all fine,IMO)and am very confident in my decision to take this route.
What I have been able to do(thanks to a good,dedicated room)is save BIG TIME MONEY,as opposed to going through the "buy and sell" syndrome.Technology can be a real benefit,if one stays abreast of what's available to us.

As to the subject of some Avalons lacking the last degree of bass response:How come we have NOT seen so much attention payed to this subject,with the "industry darling" Kharma 3.2's???Fine speakers,but like the rest of the superb Avalon line,the overall strength of the speaker takes precedence over the lowest octave.True music lovers should know(do know)this!

Best!