GFP-750 - blue v. red circuit boards

Recently, I have seen a couple of posts and ads that talk about the Adcom GFP-750 with the preferred blue (v. red) circuit board, but never an explanation for why it's preferred. What makes this model preferred?

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957

Showing 1 response by jimangie1973

Daltonlanny is completely correct with his observations. I tried out two separate brand new units in Mid 2004, both made in Taiwan.

They both sounded good but the volume and balance controls were crap. The turning feel was not smooth and both pots had a large amount of play or wiggle in their operation. Also, the shafts were not even aligned straight perpendicular with the front of the unit. I also noticed the volume would increase when the balance was moved to either side of the 12:00 position. That was annoying to me as well.

I just received an older USA made unit from a fellow audiogon member and this unit is built rock solid. The balance and volume pots on this one are high quality ALPS pots with very smooth turning and absolutely no loose wiggle feel.

I don't know how many of the Taiwan made units have the inferior controls but I know the Mid 2004 models did.