Getting into Vinyl...

Was wondering what you guys would recommend for a phono preamp for someone just getting into vinyl and not looking to make this a passion. I am just trying to work some vinyl into my system (VTL 5.5, Krell 2250, b&w 804s) to play with on occasion, not looking to spend alot of money.

The players I have been looking into are the Rega P1, just not sure on the phono pre amp side of things. I was considering a SS phono pre since I already have a Tube pre amp. Is this a good line of thinking?? I don't want to lose bass if possible, and i know having all tube can cause this.

I know nothing about vinyl, except it sounds great and looks fun, so any help is throroughly appreciated.
jc51373

Showing 6 responses by jc51373

I have been searching, and completely understand the concept. I am looking for a helpful individual to contribute and offer up some suggestions. I will continue to search, like I have been, in the meantime.
Thanks everyone....Not sure what MM or MC is, I have an idea...Moving Magnet, or Moving Coil??? Either way, I have no idea why it is important-sorry. Whatever it is, I want to know, as I don't want to learn I missed some very important detail after I purchase a set up.

So SS or Tube phono pre?
Thanks Hodu, Fishwater, very informative, exactly what I needed to hear....A this point I think I am leaning towards the Black Cube with the larger power supply, I will start there and move ahead with the table, or vice versa. Seems like the phono is the more important piece, although we know better as philes. It's all a big chain....

Anyway, I don't know enough about Tables to buy yet and I want to know everything, and that gives time for something nice to pop up on A-gon for me. But the Black Cube sounds like the Phono stage for me, neutral and sounds good, perfect for my system.

Do you guys have any opinions on the MH 2.1? Alot like the P1? I like the Ferrari red. : ) But mainly I would like something I could potentially grow with, without breaking my wallet.
Thanks Tvad...I read so many positive things about the BC se it just seemed like the right avenue to travel. I think it is important to system match properly when adding something. Some of the pieces I was originally thinking about might be outclassed, so I decided to at least put a little more into the phono stage. Great advice here, thanks alot.