getting into vinyl

Like the title says, I’m thinking I should get into vinyl what do I need to know? I’ve been looking at some used Music Hall MFM and Ikura turntables in the 500 range over kill for 1st TT?
jfondell

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Jfondell 
I have Krell system with Tyler Acoustic Decade speakers which is very revealing so I'd have to get a run of the mill TT and be disappointed so I'll just save more and look into a 1200-1800 budget. As far as a phono stage what do you guys recommend?

I’m thinking I should get into vinyl what do I need to know?

(OP) Jfondell

one thing to consider.

Which Krell are you using ?

they typically use a lot of power - high wattage at idle. With high power amps you will need to have a good grounding system in place, and a high quality phono stage to match the Krell. Vinyl does not amplify a high level signal like digital. If your phono stage is not up to par you will hear hum/noise/pops/clicks. Also if a Single Ended phono stage, you will need to be extra careful; the type that is anal with your cables/wires arrangement.

For this reason alone, I do not see your budget leaving much for a table after you buy a good phono stage. fwiw - One of the amps I own is a Krell 600 - it uses 430 watts at idle. 

Good luck.