Getting good sound quality below 200Hz

I run open baffles with currently 15" Eminence Alpha bass drivers with their dedicated Rotel amp and crossed over at 200Hz with 24db slope.

This underpins the upper driver beautifully but by contrast if I play it on its own its not at all impressive, lacking primarily in both definition around the sounds and also impact.

My first question "is this typical of what sound is like below 200Hz"

Secondly looking to improve this should I concentrate on improving the 15"drivers or the amp?

Please don’t recommend a powered sub as I have one already which will eventually underpin the 15"drivers when I have that bit right.

Thanks

bumpy48

Not sure bass should sound impressive as opposed to natural.  Also depending on the instrument much of the definition and possible impact are conveyed by the harmonics reaching into the midrange frequencies.

This underpins the upper driver beautifully but by contrast if I play it on its own its not at all impressive,

What exactly does this mean?  You play the 15" without the mid/highs?

Get measurements.  What might be happening is that you have peaks which prevent you from turning them up high enough.  Try to get a descending slope from 20 Hz or so to 200. 

Yes it means exactly what you said. The midrange is disconnected and the 15" drivers play on their own without changing volume setting. The volume is never excessive.

I have no idea if it sounds natural as I have never experienced music played below 200 Hz - hence the question.

OP:

Measurements are your friend here. :)  I encourage you to find a way either via Room EQ Wizard and a calibrated mic or otherwise to see what's going on.