General Initial Impressions--Genalex Gold Lion KT88 Reissue

I've been on a tear of tube rolling with no end other than to try things out and see how I like them.  

I am trying out the Genalex Gold Lion KT88 reissues--8 of them--in a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated.  I mated them with 4 Cifte 12AU7s and 2 Baldwin (likely early 60s) 12AU7s.  

I made the mistake of not changing my selector switch from EL34 to KT88 during the first 20 hours of listening to the Gold Lion KT88s.  Regardless, I thought they sounded pretty great out of the box with the EL34 setting.  

It's still early in the process so I'm not 100% certain of everything. My initial impression is that these offer the sweetness of EL34 midrange while extending most of the sound spectrum.  There's a good bit of air on the top and mid to upper level detail is superb.  Compared to the EL34 reissues, I think the bass is a touch softer yet more defined--yet this is early and I need to compare with recordings that are tattooed on my aural memory before making final conclusions. 

Overall, I'd say this reissue is a damn fine tube.  I'm not finding any noticeable shortcomings or faults.  Everything is musical and enjoyable.  Smooth is the order of the day with this tube, yet it's not sleepy or droopy. It's a nice mix, in my mind's eye, of vintage and modern.  I really like them.  

I bought a matched octet from Upscale, but I didn't have these cryoed like most others I've bought. 

I'm super curious to hear about other users' experiences. 
128x128jbhiller
Thank you very much jbhiller. It is nice to hear what others think about a particular tube characteristic.  I have a quad of GL KT88 arriving tomorrow. A quad popped up on here after I posted my question so guess I will find out soon. The PL EL34 does have a very nice midrange and tone but after awhile I feel like something is missing. I am wanting more and I can't put my finger on it.   I also have the Mullard EL34's reissue and I need to roll them back in soon. I do like them but after listening for a few sessions they were missing something but can't remember what it was. Possibly I didn't have enough hours on them yet.   Like you my aural memory fades over time unless I have tons and tons of hours listening to a particular setup. I am hoping I really like the GL KT88 and will update once I get a feel for them. They basically are new and have no more than 3 hours so the fun starts over lol.
@wolf_garcia I have the Jolida 502A and I am beginning the power tube quest. I have read some of your posts about your beloved Jolida. You went all the places I am wanting to go...KT120's, 150's and now you are back to the KT88's. 

I have been running KT88 reissue Mullards for a few years and feel they may need an update. 

From what you have been through I may try the Gold Lions based on your opinions. 

If you have any more info feel free to pass it along to me :-)

db

My amps take just about anything....they ship with EL34 and sound pretty good...They sounded really good with Gold Lion KT 66 , but I think the KT88 sounds best in my Quicksilver Mid Mono amps....just the right sound in my system.
As an update, I'm now about 6 weeks in with the GL KT88s.  If I had to guess I'd say I'm north of 120 hours with them.  

Again, I liked them pretty well out of the box.  I got bored/curious and popped in the EL34s for a weekend in this stretch.  It made me appreciate the good of the EL34s.  I went back to the KT88s and they were fine, but I wasn't feeling so drawn in at times. In the last week I've asked myself why are things sounding so great as of late.  I'm sure that I'm more accustomed to the KT88s, but I wonder if they needed north of 100 hours to break in.  

The differences that I note at this ~120+ hour mark are more definition of instruments in space, better individualization of notes, the high end seems less tense, and the bass is just as present in volume but not as on top of me.  This is not a night and day change but it's also not too subtle.  

I'm less than 1200 hours into tube gear in earnest so I'm still getting a feel for the lay of the land.  I think that maybe some of these tube types do break in a bit in the first 20-100 hours--give or take.  And, with all this said, it all makes me want to keep experimenting.  
I missed that query aimed at me, but to update...now I'm using GL KT88s (as supplied with this amp) in a Dennis Had "Inspire Fire Bottle" amp with more efficient speakers…the Jolida may be headed for retirement, although seriously served me well for years…a great amp! The "Fire Bottle" is an utterly different design from the Jolida (single ended 12 watts per side), although obviously limited to efficient speakers.