Gather around JoLida 100a owners

This is more just out of curiosity. I currently have as you might tell a JoLida with a level-2 mod from underwood. What I'm wondering is can an outboard dac be added and if so have any of you done so. The DAc that I'd consider would be the Prima D/A Converter 24/192 MKII. Do you guys think this would be an improvement.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

freakygreek

Showing 9 responses by freakygreek

Allegro12,

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me a little about H20 ICE amps I did a google search and came up "cold".

Cheers
Thanks Distortion,

What ever DAC I deciede to go with it will have to be used your right at almost $4600 the Prima is not cheap.
Are there any used DAC's at the level of the Prima that won't require me selling a kidney.

As transports go I've read only good things about the Sonic Frontiers Transport3 and the Metronome T20. Any others I should be looking at keeping at the same level price/performance wise compared to the Sonic and Metronome.

Cheers

Allegro12,

Don't woory about the topic it's nice you stopped by and said hello.

I have to say that my music hasn't sounded this good so good that now I'm looking to upgrading again. In the next few months I'll be looking at adding some amps but it depends on what speakers I'll go with. So far I've listened to PMC's paired with Bryston and LINN amps. The next on the list is to hear B&W Sig 805's. My dealer also wants me to listen to a pair of LINN Speakers I forgot the model.

Cheers

Allegro12,

Are you saying that on top of the existing side panel dampening you added more. Mine already has dampening on the side panels and I believe underneath to. Oh by the way you once tried Hal-O how did they work out for you.

Cheers

Distortion,

As per my dealers suggestion amps are next on my plate with the pre-amp to follow. I noticed on your system that you have the Bryston SP1.7 how do you find 2 Channel play back and do you often use this feature. I myself am leaning towards B&W speakers in particular the 805 Sig paired with a LINN 2250 amp or a Plinius 9200 what do you think of these combo's. The LINN amp is the only one I can hear and that will be in the next two weeks as I'm waiting for my dealer to come up with a demo pair(805)for me to listen.

Cheers

Allegro12,

What made you deceide on the Plinius. Did you audition first or did you go on the recommendations of others. I ask this as I have yet to find a Canadian Dealer so my choice would be based on reviews and such. I have a good feeling that I'd love the sound of the B&W 805 Sig do you think this will be a well made match.

Distortion,

I spent about 3 hours today listening to different speakers. I chose to listen B&W N804's,LINN ESPEK,and the PMC OB1. Source was a LINN UNIDISK2.1,amp LINN 2250 Pre-amp LINN Exotik. I'll first say that the B&W were the more forward sounding of the bunch with the PMC occupying the middle ground the the LINN's coming in third with a slightly more laid back sound.

The B&W really came alive at the higher levels but their sound reminded me of my Paradigms. My dealer made a comment that Paradigm bases there sound on B&W speakers. I thought that the B&W/LINN combo was great making me wonder how my Paradigms would sound. Next time I'll listen to mine(Studio 60's)paired with the LINN
and the Signatures 40 making sure I bring my CDP with me. At that time my dealer should have the B&W 805 Sig's as well.

This so confusing if it dosen't stop soon I'll have myself commited.

Cheers

Distortion,

In all honesty the PMC's created the sound that I was looking for. I really wanted to be impressed by the B&W but found myself gravitating back to the PMC. The bass on the PMC was right on the mark a trait to line transmission speakers. What I really noticed between the two is the mid-range on the PMC was pure liquid making me loose myself to the music. The B&W really opened up at the higher volumes but the PMC kept up nicely and they play much better at lower volumes. I found the highs on the B&W a bit forward or bright sounding with the PMC's a bit less edgy. In over all the sound the PMC produced made them very easy to listen to.
I can't wait to here them again when I bring and hook them up to my CDP. Who knows maybe at that time the B&W's might sound better.

Cheers

Distortion

I only wish I was able to provide you with a little more info. As getting off topic feel free I like to think of the Gon as a community so don't worry about it. There is likely more than one person wondering that same thing.

Cheers