Gather around JoLida 100a owners

This is more just out of curiosity. I currently have as you might tell a JoLida with a level-2 mod from underwood. What I'm wondering is can an outboard dac be added and if so have any of you done so. The DAc that I'd consider would be the Prima D/A Converter 24/192 MKII. Do you guys think this would be an improvement.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

freakygreek

Showing 5 responses by distortion

Sure you can use an outboard DAC. I use a Theta DAC from time to time and also the DACs in my Processor.

From what I have read, the AA Prima DAC is a fantastic performer, I havent heard it yet. At 3x the cost, I would certainly expect it to be an improvement.

Of course you would probably want a top notch transport to compliment your new high performance DAC. The Jolida's is a fairly common Phillips CDM12.10, I believe.
Freaky, Hehe, I know it, audio gear really knows how to exponentially increase in price.

Honestly I am fairly new to DACs myself. I havent heard that many. I do know that there are many competent makes and models to choose from, with widely varying sound characteristics.

A few DACs that come to mind are Enkianthus, Audio Note, and Electrocompaniet. Thats off the top of my head. There are tons more and certainly others here at the 'Gon have more experience than I do in this matter.

I am leaning toward a Bel Canto DAC2 to upgrade my Theta DSPro Basic I. I suspect it will not better my Jolida (I love the tubes) but, just like the Theta does now, it will offer an SS alternative. Some music just sounds better on SS. Honestly I am very happy with the Jolida. My current upgrade path is speakers or amp first, so it may be a while before I get around to upgrading the CDP.
FreakyGreek, I use the 2 channel feature often. Its performance in that area was the reason I chose it(SP1.7). Comparatively, its 2 channel performance is at or very near the top of the heap (when it comes to Processors anyway). The truth is, its good at 2 channel but, a good dedicated preamp can better it.

Plinius and B & W go together like cookies and milk. Most B & Ws arent a real difficult load on the amp anyway. So its easy to match an amp with your desired sonic signature. Plinius has a nice smooth top end, and a tube like mid range, with respectable grip on the bass. I am seriously considering this brand myself. I havent heard much Linn stuff so I cant comment here. It seems quite popular though and thats usually a good thing.

Paired with the right electronics B & Ws can really sing and the SIgs are just that much better at it. Theres a good chance your gonna like 'em.
Awww man I am so jealous. I have been wanting to audition the OB1's for a while. Sounds like a really fun day, checking out new stuff. I need one of those days!

Compared to the B & Ws, what was the bass like with the OB1s? was midrange as pronounced on the OB1s? was there as much inner detail in the midrange? That dome mid has me very interested.

Ohh yes the audio bug has bitten us hard. At some point we should slow down and just enjoy the music! or at least try =).

To get back on your original post. I read some about the AA Prima DAC. The input looks very promising to guys like me who have a piggy backed HT in there system.
Freaky, I dont want to get your thread off topic. I just wanted to say thanks for info on the PMCs I appreciate that very much.