Garrard 301-Worth the effort?

A friend very generously gave me his Grandfather's Garrard 301 to restore or sell. It's not in bad shape, but won't play yet as it looks like it needs a new idler wheel and spindle (so far). I'm not crazy about the tonearm (Garrard with unknown Shure Cartridge) or plinth (plywood box). My dilemma is whether it's worth the effort and money to fix or would I be better off selling it and putting the money towards something new, possibly a VPI classic with a better tonearm? I currently use a Harman Kardon T-65C with a Grado Statement Sonata II and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better. I've read great things about the 301, but I'm more into the music than collecting antique pieces.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
heyraz

Showing 3 responses by hifigi

Hi,

Do you happen to have the anti-skating weight (on a string) and the counterbalance weight that slide on the two thin aluminum posts located at the back of the tonearm?

I just bought a used T65C that is missing both of them - it has the black counterweight to balance the weight of the cartridge and apply the proper tracking weight, but not the other two smaller weights.

If you do not have these two small weights, does the TT work well without them?

Thanks,
Dave
Hi,
Before I get to my question, I just wanted to say that although my name is also Dave and my username is HiFiGi, there is no connection to HiFiGuy.

Coincidentally, I also have a Harman Kardon T-65C with a grado Statement Sonata (but a I not a II) and wondered if you had any challenges with tracking force. I cannot get the cartridge to drop down far emough on the outer edge of the record. It sounds great and tracks well from the middle of the record to the label, but not on the outer edge.

I believe I may have a dry or damaged tonearm bearing, but before I try to repair it, I wanted to see if you (or anyone else) has ever corrected this type of issue with a turntable.

Thanks,
Dave
FYI, I was able to adjust the tracking force and correct the problem. The Ito tonearm has a sub-counterweight that screws into the rear of the tonearm. It is only supposed to be used if needed (for heavier cartridges).
I also learned that, if this Ito tonearm is resistant to movement, it id probably the vertical adjustment, not the tonearm's bearing.
Once I adjusted the tracking force and tonearm height, I learned how great this turntable is!
Before we set it up, my audio dealer (who used to own one of these H/K T-65C turntables) thought I would need to spend $1500 on a new table, like the traveller, to outperform the T-65C, but once we got it properly set up, he said I would need to spend at least $2500 on a new table to get better results. I am would be very happy with this TT if I bought it for $1200, but am estatic to have found one for $300.
I have learned a lot about setting up this table, so if anyone needs help with any of the H/K T series tables, let me know.