Garrard 301 restore

Im about to embark on a 301 restore project. I just reached out to woodsong with questions. The unit is super clean but clearly needs work that I would prefer to leave to the pros. It currently resides in the original plinth which I would like to replace as it's pretty but not very dense. I am also pulling the Fairchild arm.

I might be comfortable making my own plinth if I can get a cutout template from someone.

My budget is 2k all in. Table, plinth, and arm. I might pony extra for cart but it will likely be a 103r.

So...I need help with plinth plans and an arm suggestion that wont break the bank. I am pretty well versed on arm types, tendencies etc. I love vintage but sight unseen 40-year-old arms can show up with play due to bearing wear.

Would love to hear from the community- Im an old seller/buyer on AG before it went retail and very expensive.

Thanks All

128x128famoej

Showing 1 response by mglik

I looked for a great rebuild of a 301 for many years.

When I finally found a Woodsong 301 in their highest level plinth and $3500 Jelco arm I was v happy to buy it for $5300. You might ask for advise from Woodsong, but Chris Harban is great at what he does and not cheap. But he is a v nice guy and I’m sure will help on the phone.
The original price was $12K. To do one on the cheap is possible, and possible to get pretty good sound. 
I have seen nice plinths on EBay for a few hundred. The Denon 103 is a very good cartridge for the price. You might also look at Grado. A better arm is a good idea.

Do you have a phono stage or preamp with a built in phono? This is probably where the lion’s share of your money goes.