garrard 301 and its' restorations

i was looking at a recent  you tube video of a restored garrard 301 in action. the platter motions while playing an lp were  very "wobbly" and bouncy ,like it was tracking a warped record or a spring in the suspension was "detuned"  is  this an optical illusion or is this normal to the idlers ?. i've never seen this on a vpi ,acoustic signature ,technics 1200 direct drive , kronos ultra high end etc .

theoriginalthor1
Top of the spindle is no doubt bent. It is easily bent. One low and one high spot per revolution. Seen it too many times when the TT is shipped with the platter attached. 

Yeah, that's the one folkfreak. Brooks told me he was involved in it's design, and used one as his shop's main table for a few years before his death. I don't know what happened to it, but Brian doesn't have it. Sheila has sold off a lot of Brooks personal gear, and had me sell the vintage drums I had provided him with, in the last few years of his life. Brian kept one kit, a 1960's Rogers.

Sheila asked me to find a band to play at Brooks' 50th birthday party at their house in La Verne, and I did---my own! Brooks got up on the kit and played "Wipe Out", the happiest I ever saw him. I miss Brooks a lot.

If you watch the video carefully, in addition to the record warp, there appears to be a discoloration or a variance in the texture of the edge of the platter that gives the illusion that the entire platter is bobbing up and down.  
@bdp24 that would be Judy Spotheim of SPJ turntable fame. Cardas used to be the US distributor. I lusted after the Centoventi that Brooks Berdan used to have - maybe some day I'll acquire one 😉
The video on the Cardas website shows George lowering the arm on his very expensive turntable (that really complicated acrylic one with a woman’s name attached to it---the name escapes me at the moment), onto a somewhat warped LP. George, why not use an absolutely flat one for your video?! The music sucked too, kind of New Age easy listening. Reinforces the image civilians have of audiophiles. But George's Magneplanar Tympani-IVa's sure look great!
Man, that's just weird. I watched several of the YouTube videos from Cryo Parts and the record looked like it was warped on most of them. Why would you create a video using a warped record? And it was crappy music to boot......

No offense intended, I just don't get it.........
What a waste of time and effort. The record is obviously warped. You should learn how to cut and paste so you can put a clickable link in your messages.

link is; you tube;cryo parts; garrard301 orthofon 12""

other videos :

old denon 300 dd no problem

linn itock ;rock solid

that headshell may contain the transformer ortofon spu

I have three idler drive tables. Garrard, EMT, and Dual.  The platters all run true with out wobble.  If you're thinking of getting an idler driven table, I recommend them.. Mine are used often (the Dual every day) without issues or problems.

N
I've seen this before on YouTube a while ago. Warped record not helped by the weight on the disk.

You really need to post a link if you want to receive any on point responses.

maybe post the specific video so we can relate better to your comments.

i owned a Dobbin's Plinth'd and refurbed Garrard 301 that as i recall was dead solid steady appearing to the naked eye. but with a 50+ year old turntable anything is possible.

The Garrard 301, and 401, have no suspension. The platter sits atop a spindle that is around 5-6" long, in a substantial bearing well, and bronze bushings. This bearing well is affixed solidly to the chassis. I can't imagine a scenario in which a platter/spindle would be so unstable. The spindle/bearing on my 40+ year old Garrard 401 is still functioning as well as it did when new. It has to be caused by something else, as mentioned, a warped record or such.

Regards,
Dan
Whatever it is that you are talking about, it is not "normal to idlers".  Idlers can be judged by the very same criteria used to judge belt- and direct-drive turntables; the platter should never wobble visibly.  At the micro level, probably no turntable is absolutely perfect in that regard, but if you can see the phenomenon, you've got a problem.  My guess is that the LP was warped.

go to:

locus design group;

upgrade turntables

Garrard 301, Orthofon spu

two videos

its a nice old school turntable!

Oddly enough it wasn't particularly audible. No more so than warped or non-concentric discs i.e. all vinyl records but with varying degrees of severity ;)
Cheers,
I've seen it on belt drives but not idlers. The phenomenon was referred to as "breathing", possibly attributable to an imbalanced platter combined with unilateral pull from the belt.

All the best

Post removed