GaN based SU-R1000 Technics Integrated Class-D, review by TAS

After their unobtainable and unaffordable ground breaking 1.5mhz switching speed, Technics SE-R1 GaN Class-D power amp, this new offspring integrated has finally gotten an in depth review.

I had high hopes for Technics "fully optioned" SU-R1000 integrated, "looks" like my hopes could be founded, here is the The Absolute Sound’s 7 page!!! review on it, enjoy.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/technics-su-r1000-integrated-amplifier?mc_cid=2c9d21110f&a...

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi
Unless he's a robust 82. They just can't hear above 15kHz, but maybe it's not even this high.

@GeorgeHiFi

Dear Sir (GeorgeHiFi),

Very seldom I have taken the time to address comments on any audio forum directly, but this time I have been forced to do so because some of your posts regarding the AGD products have been brought to my attention by several customers somehow disturbed by either your aggressive style/questionable methods or mostly non-sensical arguments.

By the way, I am posting this reply with my full name, Alberto Guerra, absolutely avoiding using an alias to hide who am I, something I noticed too many people, you among many, like to do.

Sir, you write your post in total anonymity, so no one is aware of the background of your technical knowledge. However, based on the continuous F.U.D type of comments, and baseless negative claims you like spreading around, it seems to be quite poor, possibly not existing, or at the very best lost and confused in a distant past.

Are you Sir an expert about ion contamination? About metal fatigue, electroless plating? About sputter deposition or evaporation? Wire-bonding techniques? Flip-chip assembly?

Are you Sir by any means aware of the material, size, type, cross-section of any of the wires, connectors, or conductors used in our and other products? Do you know the dynamic switching characteristics of the products you claim you know how so wrongly have been designed or chosen?

From your posts, it transpires an iota of any fundamental expertise
on these matters, and yet you predict demise and problems.

And this is just to list the very few items that came to my mind after reading the alchemical arguments in some of your posts.

Another interesting question that came to my mind after reading a few is: have you ever, and for just a brief moment of time, a minuscule % of the incredible amount you dedicate to "contributing" to this Audio forum, listened to a single product you brag to know so deeply with detailed intimate design characteristics?

It seems not.

For your information, AGD’ designs can handle exactly what is stated for maximum current, or switching frequency and all the rest of their key characteristics and they can do because all the electronic components employed (passive or active), and all the electro-mechanical elements that are part of the design itself is created, manufactured, and tested exactly for such purpose, to meet the design targets, meet the highest quality standards, and deliver the best possible sound.

For your information, all AGD products are also covered by a 5-year warranty, so your additional accusations are plain and simply false too.

Of course, it would be an epiphany for all the audiophiles contributing to the Audiogon forum to see a redeemed attitude from you... sometimes one day in a not too far future.

However, I am afraid that this is a case falling into the taxonomy of a species for which my old boss used to say “A lavare la testa all’asino si spreca acqua tempo e sapone”.

Sir (GeorgeHiFi), if you are just half savvy as you like to depict yourself in this forum, I am sure you will be able to get google to translate the message… for your consideration.

Post removed 

jonnie22

This thread is to do with "GaN based SU-R1000 Technics Integrated Class-D" Why is it your on every post but your own ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I never bought AGD into it here, but seeing it was I gave the big problems it has with claimed 32 and 50amp current through those tiny tube pins/sockets.
And if you want to turn a blind eye to it then well good for you.

Cheers George.
Post removed 
Just read the HiFi World review of the SU-R1000 and I felt obviously that they didn't like the product (3/5), and that they were also bias in their review knocking the Technics at every possible aspect they disliked, and then some.

I always find it interesting how some people rave about products and others passionately rail against them. Nonetheless I'm still really enjoying my lower-level SU-G700. I liked it so much that I'm actually ordering the new MK2 version of it that should be shipping in January of 2022.

I have nothing bad to say about my Technics "not Class D" amplifier, but I do believe these amplifiers have an acquired sound that experienced HiFi purists may not enjoy.
I guess HiFi World's review helps balance out TAS's overly positive review of the SU -R1000.

I was stuck listening to my SU-G30 for a month while waiting for a new amp and actually gained a new appreciation for the ultra clean sound of Technic's GaN implementation.  IMHO, this super clean sound does not work with all types of music and recordings, but when it does work, the results can be amazing. 
Ken Micallef (Stereophile) has the unit now for review and he gives a very quick, positive impression in one of his recent system videos. I don't understand the whole convert every signal to digital, however, Ken is pretty straight up when it comes to how things sound. 
Post removed 

aberyclark
Ken Micallef (Stereophile) has the unit now for review and he gives a very quick, positive impression in one of his recent system videos.

@aberyclark Can you post a link to this video?.
Also isn’t Ken Micallef anti digital?? https://ibb.co/kXvsMZ3
Can’t understand Stereophile giving it to him to review.

Cheers George
Well I'm in!

Ordered my SU-R1000 (black).

I sent my SU-G700 back pre-ordering the SU-G700M2, since I only had it 30 days when they announced the new MK2 model. I boxed it up and shipped it back, and when I hooked up my old iamp and was listening to music with my wife even she was like "it doesn't sound the same". I told her i sent the old amp back, and was waitnng for a new model. But she was absolutely right... It wasn't the same! I just love that Technics sound.

I was thinking as I looked at my collection of about 150 records and stack of CD's waiting to be loaded onto my streamer how I was gonna have to wait till January for the new SU-G700M2. My record collection is only growing and from what I've heard about the phono stage I just figured I might as well get the reference class of the amp I've grown to love and can't live without.

Hopefully I'll have it by next month.
I believe the SU-G700M2 has the same feature of the SU-R1000 when it comes to records but I understand why you don't want to wait. On another note, I was told that we'd be getting the M2 in December and possibly earlier. Europe is getting them in October.

Now that I know both you and your wife are already missing the sound, I have that much more to look forward to. 👍

All the best,
Nonoise
The SU-R1000 has the Intelligent Analogue Phono-EQ (Accurate EQ Curves, Crosstalk Canceller and Response Optimiser). Probably some other stuff too that I’ve left off, I hope 😉

The Crosstalk Canceller gives you the phono calibration record and I believe is still exclusive to the SU-R1000. My understanding of it anyways, the big reason I wanted it. Figured since I’ll be buying more records along the way I like that this amplifier could not only augment my speakers, but also my TT cartridges.

I think the previous SU-G700 only had a MM phono stage (not MC).

Yeah I was told January and that Technics is moving their unit production from Japan to Malaysia (dealer said), don’t know if that’s true. So they were having some issues as far as when they can expect to get future products in.

Then the review from Stereophile is out.

December 2021 issue.

"It was as Donald Fagen and his

background vocalists were singing to me, alone."

Seems like they like it.

Very happy with my SU-G30 with Audirvana.

Stereophile review of SU-R1000  "amp's bottomless noisefloor" is a good description of the SU-G700 as well.  I never heard the SU-G30 though I assume same analogy applies

I'm going to hear this amp this week. Looking forward to it. Reviews have been pretty much universally great however the Hi-fi World one gave it a bit of a panning.

Anyway will be interesting to hear how this sounds in my system.

I got mine last week, they do sound different to any amp I've heard before.

I know amps sound different, but the these sound different to the different amps.

After using the SU-G700M2 for a week I put the Denon back on.

In comparison the Denon was louder, both 70 watts into 8 ohms, you turn the volume up and it it goes louder, very loud with the KefR5's. The Technics is different, yes the Technics goes louder when you turn up the volume. But it's not the same type of loudness. With the Technics the sound never really sounds that loud, the sound just gets bigger.

Also the Technics is is much more refined. 

I'm loving mine, they are different though, so might not be everybody's cup of tea. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiUXZcS8R48

here is samples of audio-comparing bryston 4b3 , pass labs and technics su-r1000

Some comments are similar to review of stereophile:)

Post removed 

Can I just ask which person here has heard the Technics ? Is this ideological hatred or genuine gripe? 

I am intrigued by it - particularly the phono stage section and I’m a vinyl freak truth be told I am considering one. I have a Lavardin IT which is superb but I simply fancy a change after about 18 years. I like something new/ interesting