GaN based SU-R1000 Technics Integrated Class-D, review by TAS

After their unobtainable and unaffordable ground breaking 1.5mhz switching speed, Technics SE-R1 GaN Class-D power amp, this new offspring integrated has finally gotten an in depth review.

I had high hopes for Technics "fully optioned" SU-R1000 integrated, "looks" like my hopes could be founded, here is the The Absolute Sound’s 7 page!!! review on it, enjoy.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/technics-su-r1000-integrated-amplifier?mc_cid=2c9d21110f&a...

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi

Showing 5 responses by art_boston

George, you are aware that AGD's Audion first gen is "only" 400kHz and is considered to be an excellent product? Their second gen is up to 800kHz I believe.
So, let's stop touting 1.5MHz as the requirement for excellence. Perhaps it is for other designers but Alberto knows more about GaN's than others.
..and yet the reviewer didn't note:
1. What music he played.2. How the amp specifically performed with that music.
3. What the rest of the system was.
and the most important spec for George: switching speed!
This is a seriously lacking "review".
Finally, another Class-D amp that can't perform below 4-ohms and at $10K. Pathetic.
George:

1. The SE-R1 needs to be at 1.5MHz to perform as it does, considering the rest of its design.

2. The AGD does not need to run that high to perform as it does. Its design and execution are superior, I believe. sure, they increased the frequency to 800MHz now, but the improvement in SQ is incremental not dramatic.

3. You’re always mentioning specs; you should mention SQ. Both AGD’s are superior in SQ. Would you rather have your 1.5MHz and lesser SQ? Of course not!

4. I believe the best performance and SQ will be using a linear power supply. I had an H2O S250 Signature, B&O and linear, and it performed beautifully with Apogees, including Scintillas. I’ll wait for that amp rather than jump into the current wild, wild west!
Oh dear...from WhatHiFi:

Regardless of source – analogue or digital – we notice that the SU-R1000 doesn’t have the most expansive soundstage. Its presentation isn’t cluttered exactly, but there’s a definite lack of space around sounds and instruments, making things sound less layered and lacking in depth. The delivery could do with greater precision when locating instruments in the image too.

They don't say which speakers were used to make this determination, perhaps all three of them. The review speakers, by the way, are nothing special in my view.

George, you are pathetic:
1. You are accusing AGD with blatantly lying as to delivering 32A. This is easily verified. There is no way a reputable manufacturer would risk claiming so if it were not so.

2. You did not read from Alberto's mouth that his GaN's ARE specifically designed for audio. HIS GaN's are HIS alone.
3. Again with switching frequency! Yes, 1.5MHz is higher than 800kHz, not better. It does not make for better SQ! You are obsessed with SF and ignoring SQ!
Geez!