Gallo REfF3's-All their cracked up to be?

Having won award from Absolute Sound,6Moons etc just wondering if how they compare with others in $25r00-$5K range.With Maggie 1.6/3.6's,Spendors,Harbeths,B&W Nautilus 803's etc not to mention used Quad 988.989,Infinity Preludes that have been seen as low as $3500,Gershman RX-20's used,offerings from Audio Physic (again good values used,heard Sparks where I liked low volume dynamics and read the Gallo's need to be pushed to come alive) well it's a crowded market.But seems like the twop speakers that have major buzz factor are the Gallo and NHT Xd system (selling for a bit over $6K).Live in sticks anbd would like to hear from folks who have put the Gallo's up against other speakers with empahsis on accurate midrange.Had as pair of Ref 2's but never got system set up around them nor dialed them in correctly.Was so nervous that tweeters might blow which were irreplacable got me nervous and I got rid of them pretty quickly.Have heard from dealers that Gallo can be unpleasant in cutomer support and lack of back tweeters could have been his resent ment that they did not sell better.But even though that's speculation is does say that they could be beter in support area.Maybe new models and sales might correct this.,They seemed to have great attributes but also weakneeses.Couldn't shake the feeling they were "gimmicky" in some respects but againn perhaps they were not dialed in proprly.Would lkike to run with 40 watt glass but could go 200+ solid state.Any auditions or owners who could give the good ,the bad and the ugly?
Thanks
Chazzbo
chazzbo

Showing 1 response by mas426

It's funny, I think that people cannot really get over how good these sound. These are so good they are almost a *freak* and because some people don't/can't deal with it they come up with "they sound congested" or "lean Bass".

Give me a break.

I actually went to the Digital Ear a store in Tustin (SoCal), they are a Gallo dealer and did not even have them hooked up or near others for a demo. They tried to sell us EVERY other speaker in the house from Martin Logan to Audio Physics to even Tannoy!

I could not believe it, They were not even going to play them for us, until we demanded that they do. They were clerly superior to everything they TRIED to sell us, the $4500 Audio Physics, the $3795 (Vistas) Martin Logan's and they said with a straight face that the Galllos are over-rated...?

You know what I think? I think that if dealers actually demo these speakers against everything under $10K they will never sell another speaker other than the Ref 3.1's! And I think that is way too painful for many of these dealers, their profits will dip because they will be moving the Gallo's in lieu of more expensive Logan's, A. Physics and every other speakers out there.

This is a business after all, and if Lexus comes out with a car that is 3 times less than the more expensive Mercedes but clearly out performs it, Mercedes is in serious trouble.

And that's what I think has happened here, these speakers are so good, everyone else is in trouble, including the dealers. A $3K Reference Speaker is a major paradigm shift for not only many manufacturers, but many dealers as well.

And I believe, THAT is the issue...

Cheers-

Mike