Gallo Ref 3.1 stands, need more stability, help...

I am very happy with my Ref. 3.1 speakers but the base is way too unstable for my household that includes dogs. The lateral stability is horrible. I have read threads here about various stand options but I still have a few questions.

The cheapest tweak was a pair of Auralex Mopad Monitor isolation pads. These sound great. This $39 experiment convinced me that better stands are the way to go. The bass is much better, soundstage fuller, just sweeter in every way on my tile flooring. The only problem is that they are foam and not even as stable as the original feet.

The Bright Star Audio stand looks ideal but I can't find one for sale.

The Mapleshade is a bit expensive. Is the added 4 inches of width and added mass enough to make a serious improvement in the stability of the speakers? I would get the radiused feet.

I need stability but I also want an improvement in sound for my money. What have the Gallo mavens discovered? Will the Mapleshades fit the bill?
dave_newman

Showing 3 responses by leatherneck1812

I built 4" stands of solid maple following Mapleshades exact dimensions. I bought heavy footers from Edensound, so mine are not an exact copy. I did it for the same reasonas you, stability. The sound as Dopogue correctly stated improved across the board. Mapleshade's stands will NOT allow you to use your speaker covers though. My stands have a groove routed in them that will, which for me was a must because of occasional visits from small children.

With the labor, materials, and brass feet I have invested in these it makes Mapleshade's seem reasonably priced. Your not just getting stabillity, you are getting an overall improvement in the sound as well.
Dave,

I had a robust 80lb dog knock over one of my Gallos and damage the speaker cover. The original feet are only 6" apart and the stands can't weigh more than a cpl of pounds. The 4" stands feet are 11" apart and weigh close 15 pounds. The mass is all at the bottom due to the weight and the low center of gravity. These are not going to tip over.
Dave,

I sit 15 feet from my speakers.
I prefer a little less angle on the speakers to achive optimum treble and midrange from my seat. I have the back feet screwed out about 1/4" making the difference from the back to front feet about 1/2" instead of 3/4" YMMMV Got the house to myself, listening right now. Sounds wonderful.